Subscriber Action:

I personally recommend CFWGroup.
- Mark O'Meara, Canadastudentdebt.ca
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Brunswick Student loan vanished?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slither View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slither Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Brunswick Student loan vanished?
    Posted: 22/July/2005 at 4:14pm
I got student loans for 2 years (2001-2002 and 2002-2003) from both provincial and federal goverments.

After graduation, I was making about 20000$/yr, which was too low to repay anything on my student loans. I applied for extentions, but I guess the paperwork got lost somewhere, because they notified me I was late in my payements...

About 2 months ago, a fire ravaged my appartment, and I lost all my paperwork about the loans/repayement. I believe my loans where in conjunction with CIBC.

Now I that I have a new job, higher salary, I can finaly start repaying my debts.

I made a few phone calls today, to find out my balance on the Federal and Provincial loans.

For the federal loan, I was reffered to Social Development Canada, who informed me that my balance for the Federal loan ONLY was 11000$ and my payements are 392$/month...

A little bit steep on the monthly payement, but so far so good.

When it gets to information about my provincial loan, all hell broke loose.

Social Development Canada reffered me to the CIBC student loans Center (18005632422)

CIBC center reffered me to the national loans center (i assume this is a HRDC affiliated call center @ 18665877452)

That National center referred me to the New-Brunswick Loans center (18006675626)

Then the New-Brunsick Loans center threw the ball again an said I should speak with the national loans center (18665877452 again!)

And it goes on and on and on...

I spent 5 hours trying to figure out where my New-Brunswick Student loan is, so I can get the balance and make arrangements, to no avail. I am assuming that the loan was sent into collection, but noone can tell me where.

Out of desperation, I called NCO and left a voice mail so they can call me back (I'm thinking they might have sent the loan to NCO)...

Anyone here has any suggestions on what I might do next if NCO doesn't have any info? The loan was approx 13000$, so I really doubt it vanished into thin air...

Thank You!
Sponsored Links

Extradite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extradite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2005 at 7:13am

MAN WTH I seen this post and I was like WOW did i post and not realise it!  MAN IM IN THE SAME VOTE!!!!!!!!!  Mines a lot smaller then yours but it was in NCOs hands in Moncton, bounced back to head office on montreal THEN re taken back by CIBC NOW HERES WHERES ITS MESSED UP CIBC claims the GOVERNMENT has it and call all the numbers you called but notta!  The nb center just says YOUR CRAZY the national student loan center says STFU CIBC has it!  SO what i did was call the bank manager (actually assistant manager) and they are having it located for me for pay off :)

LET me know how you did i spent around 7 hours in one day on it so I know the grief

kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2007 at 7:02pm

Well I see that these posts were made 2 years ago, but hopefully someone is still reading and can help me out....

I've been thrown through the same ringer a few times now. Today I decided for the 3rd time to try and find my NB Student loan and had a similer thing happen to me....

1. Called NSLC looking for NB loan (866 587 7452)
- they say contact NCS @866 336 7565 and that they transferred the debt Feb 2006 in the amount of $7453.37 NCS

2. Called NCS, they say that they don't handle NB Loans and that they only handle Federal loans...the csr tells me that the screen is telling him that I should call 800 667 0135

3. Called 800 667 0135 and it asked me to leave a complaint on the automated answering system(ie no live person to talk to).

4. Did some digging and found NB's Department of Education - Student Financial Services number 800 667 5626. This automated system said that all NB loans are handled by CIBC National Student Centre, 1-800-563-2422

5. Called CIBC NSC, they tell me that my loan was transferred to
CIBC tells me to call NSLC....Angry

6. Called NSLC again and explained the entire loop I went through, the CSR tells me that I need to find the people who handle debt collection for NB loans...ARGH!!!

If anyone can help with this ridiculous bureaucratic maze it would be muchly appreciated!

All I want to do is pay this crapola off and move on with my life!
Johnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2007 at 9:38pm
What bank did you borrow from, and when did the acount go into default? (your best guess)

Johnny
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group (CFWG)

www.cfwgroup.ca
kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2007 at 5:31am
Hi Johnny,

I "think", pretty certain that it was CIBC and my best guess would be it went into default late 2005 or 2006......
Johnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2007 at 2:47pm
Then CIBC can tell you. Obviously, they chose to brush you off for whichever reason. What you have described is very common. No one wants to ake the time and tell you where your loan is, or how much you owe. Then, they turn around and call you a dingbat because you haven't paid your debt. (?).

What you have described is the exact same treatment that most of our clients in student debt crisis have received at one point or another.

Do you need some help with any of this?

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca
kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2007 at 8:28am

If they don't get back too me from the complaints line then I might need some help...

Thanks for your reply Big%20smile
Johnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2007 at 5:06pm
Good luck!

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca
sgebeily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgebeily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2008 at 1:15pm
Hi Jhonny, i've been contacting these numbers with no answer:

902-876-3814 or 902-835-1210

Any chance you would have a direct line?

Johnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2008 at 8:09pm

You have to leave a message if there is no answer. Or, send an email if you are looking to become a client. You can click on the contact us tab on the website. Someone will get back to you.

www.cfwgroup.ca
spookisgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spookisgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2008 at 2:48pm
I had a nb student loan returned to the government that I pay on.  For information I contacted the NSLSC, and managed to get referred to a section that deals with NB RTG (return to government loans).  The name I was given to send my payments for registered mail was attention Jodi W.  Try calling the NSLSC and asking to talk to the NB RTG loan centre and specifically Jodi.  Hopefully this will help.
kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2009 at 10:58am
So finally, 2 years later...ha. I received a letter from the "Internal Audit and Portfolio Debt Management Branch". It stating I have outstanding debt owing under the program "Student Financial Assistance", these guys are amazing...

Anyway, they gave me the number to contact them to arrange repayment it was 1-877-499-2082 >> which leads to an answering machine. The message says something along the lines of, that if you have previously left a message to state that in your second message, so that they can prioritize your call....silliness. Anyway, I called again and sent them an email, which they also have stated in the letter >> NBStudentLoan@gnb.ca

We'll see if they ever call me back or reply to my email...
thisisridiculous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thisisridiculous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2009 at 2:30pm
Well I am in the same boat only I am trying to get this information for my husband (yes I have sent in the authorization form) I CANNOT believe that it is this difficult to repay a loan. My husband was given the same NBRTG Jody W. contact info. and the 1-877-499-2082 number but they never call back...has anyone had any luck getting a hold of anyone???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spookisgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2009 at 8:07am
In all the years I have had a loan with them I have never been contacted by them, just told to send my payments attn Jodi W.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spookisgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2009 at 8:17am

I have been able to contact them but it takes some long explaining to the NSLSC people that I need the NB RTG loan department and refusing to hang up until I am transferred to a real person.  When I am they dutifully give me my loan amount as of that day, followed by the exobitant amount of interest the loan is earning (I think it was something like $4.19 a day last time I called).  When you send payments don't expect quick service, or even proof they recieved it until tax time.  Seriously it taked them over 3 months to update their computer and enter information.  You can only send payments by mail (who still does that?), by cheque or money order only, which is a huge pain in the @ss.  I have never dealt with a place where it is so hard to make payment and no one cares if you pay or if you don't.  Their service is non-existent.  I wish you all the best of luck. 

kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2009 at 8:51am
Hi, yes they called me back on Thursday. I was able to make payment arrangements with them and will be able to pay via online banking through TD bank.

Try calling again, it seems that this is a newly formed group to improve the service level and since opening they have been swamped with calls. The women that called me left a message and said that they will be answering calls again now that they are caught up.

Also the woman that called me and left the message wasn't available when I returned her call, so someone else was able to help me.
Madmorrigan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2009 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by kdog kdog wrote:

The women that called me left a message and said that they will be answering calls again now that they are caught up.

Geez, I wish I could just stop taking calls at work until I'm caught up....wtf? Who does this?
MmeSaulsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MmeSaulsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2009 at 12:47pm
My husband had a prov. student loan, which he WAS paying on, until one day, he went to the bank to make a payment, and the CSR told him they were no longer handling NB prov. student loans?!?
We assumed they would be in touch to explain the new system and payment options... My husband even tried calling all those numbers above and each kept deferring him to another org./agency.... After a good while, he gave up, and thought that perhaps his prov joined with his Federal student loan..... WELLLLL... He filed his income tax this year (claiming all of 13,000$ 4400 of which was training allowance, as he went back to school) and was expecting, no make that depending on his tax return.  Soon after he got a letter from Can Revenue Agency saying that NB Student Loans put a lien on it!!! POOF all gone!!! 1700$ which he was counting to get us caught up on our outrageous power bill!!!!! So, it get's better.... he calls(Apr3/09) and emails them, he calls his MLA and gets him to help try to remove the lien,  and hears NOTHING form NB STudentl loans people...he calls some more they call us back today....I answered the phone and the representative explains to me whats going on...giving me details about my husbands business....without his consent!!! Told me everything!!! I could have been the maid, the babysitter or his mistress.... I believe what she did in very inappropriate and something should be done....
 He had a similar problem with a scotiabank visa that went to NCO.... they called a while ago and started giving me the details, facts and numbers of his account... I told her what she'd just done was waaay out of line...
Just because my husband is underemployed and unable to make his payments, doesn't mean he is not entitled to his right to privacy and others rights that all others are giving, here in Canada.
What possible avenues, if any can he take to get these people to play fair!!???

I am so frustrated with his fina
Mme Saulsa
Mari T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mari T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2009 at 9:32pm
Here's what I know so far:

Throughout the entire time I was in university and up to the moment where CIBC left "the loan business", they kept losing my forms and giving me the phone runaround.

I had such a bad time with CIBC (like all of you), that I opened a Royal Bank account as soon as I graduated and asked them to transfer the student loan to their bank. This was around May 2004. The RBC representative told me that she unfortunately couldn't transfer it because the NB government had signed a contract with CIBC that CIBC would be the only provider of NB student loans. The only job I managed to get back then was as a cashier.

A few months went by and I received a letter from CIBC saying that my federal and provincial loans had been merged and that CIBC would not handle any student loans anymore. The amount looked about right: about 18K, and I had received approximately $4000 per year (but no more than $5000), for 4 years. CIBC had already sent me to collections due to their incompetence by that point. Another few months later, in July 2005, I left the cashier job and started temping, again, the only type of job anyone would hire me for (bachelor's in communications  = useless on the job market without contacts).

As soon as I had enough of a financial cushion to be able to both pay off student loans *and* wait for the next temp contract, I started paying back the student loans. This was around September 2006. Managed to negotiate with Collections without trouble, steadily paying back the loan. No problems with Collections.

Fast forward to June 2009. I receive that letter saying that anyone who is in Collections will be sent to Revenue Canada. I call Revenue Can and they tell me that the transfer of all the files will take 3 months maximum, and to keep calling my collections agency until I receive a letter from Revenue Can telling me that my account has been transferred. This, as it turns out, happened on my birthday (July 23). Collections tells me my account has been transferred. I call Revenue Can on the same day to negotiate the payment plan, which they agree to. Then, the rep ends the call by telling me to "check out the NB loan", to which I reply "CIBC sent me a letter years ago saying that the loans were merged".

He says "No, that didn't happen that I know of". Now, two things are wrong:

1) Why would I owe around $18 000 $ solely to the Federal government when I had a combined Federal and Provincial loan that didn't go over $5000 per year?? What in the world have I been paying all these years?

2) Why did CIBC send that letter?

So what is currently going on with the NB government regarding student loans anyway?

I am generally proud of being a Maritimer, but things like this make me wonder whether my patriotism is completely misplaced.

PS From $18 000, I currently am down to around $5500.
Time brings justice.
------
Yaaaaaaaaaah...
RadoZ71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadoZ71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2010 at 4:45am
Hi, Did you get your balance of 18K down to 5500 by paying or negotiations?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic