This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoved out of Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moved out of Canada
    Posted: 18/February/2018 at 2:00pm
From my understanding there is no RAP for people outside of Canada.  You can still work out payment arrangements as per your consolidation agreement, but make sure you don't go into default.

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Sponsored Links

LifeIsTiring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LifeIsTiring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2018 at 10:05am
What are the options of Repayment Assistance for someone who is outside of Canada? If Repayment Assistance is not possible, would they work out payment arrangements with you if you're outside of Canada? Or would they instantly call in the loan because you're no longer in Canada?
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2018 at 8:22am
There are rules and filing false information to acquire a benefit may get you banned from ever using RAP again. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
LifeIsTiring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LifeIsTiring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2018 at 6:10pm
Hello everyone. I really hope that someone here will be able to shed some light on my situation. I owe the NSLSC a little less than $25,000.

I moved to the United States in 2016 to be with my American spouse, and recently became a US permanent resident. I began applying for and getting Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) from NSLSC since two or three years before I moved to the US, as I was unsuccessful at my attempts to find meaningful work in Ontario since 2014. 

Since moving to the US two years ago, I have continued to re-apply for RAP every few months. However, because one of the requirements for getting RAP is that you have to reside in Canada, I've been using my last Canadian address each and every time, even though I no longer live there. (I wasn't working at all the last two years either, due to immigration reasons, so I did not have any money to make any payments towards the loan.)

Now that I'm a permanent resident in the US, I am thinking of "coming clean" to the NSLSC and letting them know that I actually no longer live in Canada. However, I still need Repayment Assistance. I have only just begun working and so far, have only been able to secure part-time employment at a grocery store (we live in a very small town). 

Will the NSLSC offer me any kind of repayment assistance now that I no longer live in Canada? If not, would they work with me so that I only pay a small percentage of my meagre paycheck? Or will they immediately consider me in default and hand it over to a collection agency? What will happen if I go AWOL completely (or at least until I can actually make some payments)? At this point, I haven't given them any type of information as to where I am.

I have no plans of returning to Canada to live, but do plan on some quick visits here and there. Please help. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply