This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBeing Sued by Minister of National Revenue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Sued by Minister of National Revenue
    Posted: 18/October/2017 at 10:57am
Similar to many other individuals posting on the forum, I have been served a statement of claim for the payment of an outstanding Canada Student Loan. I'm currently gainfully employed but am in no way able to pay the full amount of ~$26K. I know i owe the money and have full intention of paying it. Anyone have any idea as to what my options might be? Would it be too late to discuss some form of instalment payment plan? - I don't even know who to reach out to at this point :S
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 3:34am
do you want to do it yourself, or have professional mediation? 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
DGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 3:53am
What would i need to do in order to do this myself? and if i choose not to go that route, how would i go about having a professional mediate it?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 5:40am
I can schedule you in for a general one-on-one workshop via online or phone and show you what you need to do, and provide the tools you need, or I can step in and mediate this to something manageable for you. 

Historically, it is easier and more cost effective to you to have someone like me mediate it. Some things are easy to do yourself in regards to student debt management tasks. 

Average mediation costs for this sort of thing fall in the $250.00 to $350.00 range if you jump on it quickly and not wait until the last minute. The sooner you address it when you are approached by them, the better. The longer you wait - the more work has to be done you see, 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 5:42am
Based on what you described as your situation, I would say it would cost you less for me to just go in and remedy this. FYI. 

solvestudentdebt.com
DGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 6:18am
How would i get in contact with you John?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 6:29am
You can call me at 902-861-1210. Or, email from website contact us page at www.cfwgroup.ca is easiest. I can call you. If you get voice mail make sure you leave a number to call you back. 

solvestudentdebt.com
UGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/November/2017 at 7:54am
Same thing just happened to me! I'm confused though, so even though we've been served these papers it's still not too late to negotiate a payment plan?? I've been trying to negotiate one for years and keep getting a runaround. I've wanted to start making payments since I graduated. (They sent me to collections before I graduated, long story). This is really terrifying.
DGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2017 at 6:00am
Call CRA and ask about your student loan. If you've been served papers then the file will likely be with a regional officer. They'll probably tell you that a regional officer will contact you within 24-48 hours. I got a call from the law firm that was dealing with the matter and was able to arrange a payment plan. It was rather painless and simple to be honest.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2017 at 6:05am
You as a borrower can negotiate your own payment arrangements. However, the difficulty you face is that you are the one who owes it, and the system is out to recovery money - and as quickly as possible. Having said that, you are faced with the challenge of getting organized in a way that works best for you. What works best for you does not always work best with this government office's policies. They want it all, or double what you offer, for instance. If you refuse then the power this system has to bind and punish you is immense, if you get an agent who is of that mentality and usage. There is more of those types of agents than not. 

If you cannot get any results on your own then it would be practical to find someone to help you do it, professionally. You can hire an attorney to do it, or a group like the CFW Group Inc to mediate and help you get somewhere with it. The CFW Group Inc specializes in these mediation projects with Justice Canada, CRA Legal Services, CSLP and SDC - and is WAY less expensive than what law firms and their attorneys charge. 

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2017 at 6:08am
DCG that's a good result. If you are offering a sizable payment that meets their 'basic required amount' then they are happy, as long as you pay it. Or, if you are offering less, you have to give them a reason to accept it. 

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply