This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCRA called my work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sunnysideup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnysideup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CRA called my work
    Posted: 06/January/2017 at 5:53am
CRA called my work and asked for me to call them back. When I dialed the number, I got Accounts Receiveable.

I have old loan from over 10 years ago. Last time I made a payment was probably about 6 or 7 years ago, since then I haven't talked to them as they refused to negotiate on my payments, the were asking about $1000 a month which I just couldn't do anymore due to many different reasons. I also haven't acknowledged the loan in that time. They have been taking my tax returns, but I last year I started to receive my GST/HST refund. The loan was partially national and some of it was provincial (BC).

I started receiving statements. One letter said they might pursue legal action but I have heard anything after that. Now this call came to my work, and they only asked for me to call them back.

My questions are if it's a good idea to call them back? How can I find out if it's been statute barred?

I'm not sure if they called my work only because they don't have my personal number or is it a sign that they are pursuing legal action? TIA
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnysideup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2017 at 6:09am
I  just saw on TransUnion that last payment was April 30, 2011. I don't remember making this payment, as I was already living abroad by that point.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2017 at 10:30am
What was the telephone # that called you from? 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnysideup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2017 at 6:29am
They called human resources and left a message to call them back at 1800-661-5991.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 6:16am
THis is the non-tax collection office. 

The only way to know for certain if the loan is barred is to do the analysis of it and make the discovery. It is not something you should do without professional assistance.  If you want help I can help you if need be. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnysideup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 6:28am
Thanks Johnny! I will contact you through the website. 
Whydwhy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whydwhy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2017 at 1:26pm
Sorry.. first time on here and trying to figure out where i can post my question.. i have been called from a company called EOS... they have called me at home and at work. I asked them not to call me at work and said they can if they need to. I asked for them to send me documentation about this because a couple years ago i was contacted from a company collecting student loans and i paid a big chunk thinking it was all of it and it was over. Now there is another company claiming i owe a big portion again. What they sent to me in the mail had no documentation of amounts or anything.. what can i do? I finished being a student back in 2002 i think. .. help
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2017 at 7:26am
THis is ontario student loan I presume. 

solvestudentdebt.com
Whydwhy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whydwhy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2017 at 11:01am
Yes it is
Baxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2018 at 7:58am
Hi Johnny, I just got a call from the same number and have a similar question. Is there a website or email I can contact your business with?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2018 at 9:25am
For student loan realted matters, www.solvestudentdebt.com. ;

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply