This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Notice of Civil Claim - Minister of National Reven
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNotice of Civil Claim - Minister of National Reven

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
billyjean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notice of Civil Claim - Minister of National Reven
    Posted: 04/January/2017 at 9:42am
Good afternoon,

I am hoping for some advice or information, and this is somewhat urgent.

I have been served with a Notice of Civil Claim, Plaintiff is Minister of National Revenue, for approximately 14,000 in total.

The lawyer's letter states that I can call and make payment arrangements to pay the debt. This is the route I would like to take because I do not want the judge adding court costs to the amount I already owe should this go through court.

Crap hit the fan in my life for quite a few years and I was not able to pay and unfortunately neglected it altogether and now I would like to get this paid off before it spirals even more out of control.

There is no possible way that I can pay a lump-sum, I have no savings, bad credit, etc. Does anyone know what type of monthly payments they will demand or will they even allow me to make payments on this? (in BC)

Thank you for any information!
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2017 at 3:06pm
Check the document thoroughly.  Is there a date to appear in court? Some collection agencies were sending out notices trying to scare people. Make sure it is a legitimate document.

What province are the loans from? How old is the loan? The loan might be or is approaching statute barred status.

The fact that you can call their lawyer and make payment arrangements sounds suspicious.  Do not reply or send a payment until you verify whether your loans are statute barred or not.  Any payment or acknowledgment of the debt would cause you to lose that protection if it is in place.

Let us know what you find out....  Additional comments anyone?

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
billyjean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2017 at 3:43am
Thanks for your reply!

It is definitely a valid document filed with the court (reputable well known local lawyer office, not a collection agency, I was served), this is for the Supreme Court of BC. I have 21 days to respond to the civil claim. But they also gave the option to discuss the matter and make arrangements to pay before that 21 day limit is up. 

Loans were obtained in BC, for the Canada Student loan program. 2 loans taken out in 2009/2010 that total approx. 14,000.

I have reviewed the limitation act and see the 6 year limit, so I do believe these loans might be statute barred. There has never been payment, never wrote or spoke with them. But I have read numerous things on this site that unless you know for a FACT they are statute barred that you should deal with it, or they will get the judgement (and tack on court costs to my debt and then likely garnishee my wages).

With less than 20 days to deal with this I don't know how I would ever find out if they are actually statute barred, no money for lawyers, etc. It is so hard to find any help dealing with this as the information out there about students loans is few and far between, particularly surrounding limitations.

So I guess I am wondering if anyone knows what the options are for me?

- I could just "assume" the loans are statute barred, but how do I reply to this civil claim? Or do I ignore it? Does the court look at the dates and see they are statute barred or is that on me to prove?

- If I go the other way and call them to make arrangements to pay, do they typically take reasonable payments based on my income, or do they ask for ridiculous high amounts?

- If I don't make the payment arrangement and it goes to court, and the courts rule judgement, would this method be harder on my credit record? I think I read that a judgement stays on your credit report for 10 years. However, it doesn't seem that these loans ever fall off the credit record regardless, so just curious which is the harder hit?

Thank you for any information, I appreciate it!

billyjean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2017 at 4:08am
Just a thought about the limitation act, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the courts would even look at cases where the limitation period has passed. I would think that would be the courts first question when looking at a debt that falls past the standard 6 year limit ..."this appears to be past the limitation period, lets look at that before proceeding". And it makes no sense why proving limitation is on the person being sued to prove, if that is the case. The person/company doing the suing should have to prove that they are within the legal time frame to take these actions.
billyjean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2017 at 5:17am
Sorry for adding multiple comments, couldn't find a way to edit.

I was just reading over some information on another website, the person stated that the the limitation period would have begun on the last payment date, or last written acknowledgement and if there were no payments ever received then the limitation period starts on the date when payments would have started according to the contract. Is that correct?

In the civil claim they state that a Consolidated Student Loan Agreement was prepared, but the "defendent" (me) failed to enter into the Consolidated Agreement. I never received any such agreement, so how could I have failed to enter into this agreement if it were never received? This section states that the first payment would have been payable in early 2011. Which puts us at a few weeks before the 6 year limitation period. Would the limitation period be the loan dates (2009/2010) they list or the payment start date in 2011?
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2017 at 6:09am
If you are being sued by government of Canada or Province then this is to keep it from passing through the limitation issue. You have to prove that it is in order to have it thrown out. I doubt it is barred though, unfortunately. 

The consolidation agreement is the document you sign during the 6-month grace period post studies.  It is worded that way because in fact, one was never filed. If they sent it you at an address they had on file, and you did not receive it, that is problematic. However, the onus is placed on the borrower to communicate and maintain uniformity at all times. 

The way limitation trigger points work is simple. In the risk-shared generation, federal guaranteed loans, the date of subrogation is the day. Once it is returned to government for collection, the limitation period begins. For federal loans taken out after in the integrated program, there is no process of subrogation like the risk-shared generation. so, the day the loan became due and payable would be the trigger point, and timelined. 

If you truly believe it is barred then you simply file a defense disputing the claim due to the statute of limitations. That is the only way, unless you can determine if it is (or isn't) without filing a defense. 

A lawyer would simply file a defense and then pray that the limitations are positive. If it is not statute barred then you can bank on them pursuing you aggressively once the judgment is registered up.  

If you have circumstances that prevent you from paying the student loan now (or in the past), then you have options. However, if you are gainfully employed, or at least benefitting from the education professionally and economically, are not in hardship, and it can be proven through discoveries that you could have and can to this day contribute towards your student loan based on the minimum requirements but did not, then it gets very problematic. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2017 at 7:01am
How soon after the initial default must the loan be subrogated?  Can the  bank hang onto the loan for 8+ years and then return it to the government, defeating the statute of limitations?
billyjean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2017 at 10:16am
Johnny, thank you very much for the detailed, thorough information, it is greatly appreciated! You provide a wonderful service for the people who come to this forum. Thank you again!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2017 at 10:25am
With the risked-shared generation, subrogation tends to occur anywhere after 200 days by the govenrment of Canada from the NSLSC. Subrogation applies to the govenrent guaranteed loans only. The "put-back" agreement applies to the banks. The rule is that a bank that is participating as a student loan provider is permitted to submit a small percentage of non-performing loans in default to the government for purchase, at a crazy low rate of 5%. The government takes it over and proceeds to collect 100% of what they bought. It's the same business practice as the debt buyer's business model. Buy cheap - Collect huge. The govenrment of Canada has more power because of the income tax and GST set-off program, as well as an endless supply of tax payer money to spend on the best legal assistance to ensure that debt is recovered. 

As for put-back, as in a CSL2 being purchased from the the bank by the government, that can happen at any time as long as the account is legally recoverable. The government will not allow a put-back on a barred loan. If they did, there would be no way for them to collect on it and, like other dysfunctional government expenditures, it would represent just another careless use of tax payer dollars.  
The hiring collection agencies to recover Federal debt was a large scale reckless use of tax payer dollars. NSLSC included. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply