This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHELP PLEASE!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ladyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP PLEASE!!!
    Posted: 26/December/2016 at 5:29pm
Hello,
I am based outside Canada. Roughly about a year ago when my loan was supposed to be being paid automatically through a Canada bank account it wasn't and my mom went into default. I called NSLSC and was referred to CRA. I called them as well and was told my loan is in default but that I could return it to good standing with NSLSC if I paid the interest and 2 monthly payments. At that time last September 2015 I could only pay CRA $200 a month. I have no job and a disabled child. I've been paying since then. Every month. I have not contacted them yet to have my loan sent back to NSLSC but I need help. This whole thing is just weighing over me. I don't know if/when I would ever go back to live in Canada and have been paying the monthly amount I agreed over the phone with CRA but I just don't know what to do. I need help and I'm scared. It's created a lot of stress and worry for me. HELP PLEASE.
Sponsored Links

Ladyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/December/2016 at 7:07pm
Anyone??? I really want to take care of this in the new year. It's seriously impacting my entire life. It's all I can think of. I really NEED HELP.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2016 at 3:40am
Appeal to the minister of SDC and seek hardship relief. Rehabilitating the loan is not going to do you any good.  It will just keep you in debt without any ability to come out from underneath of it. Hardship is hardship, and if what you are describing is how it is, then you have a case to bring to them. 

The lower rungs that you are dealing with will resist and try to dissuade you, but go directly to the minster's office and state your case. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Ladyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2016 at 4:35am
How do I do this? I honestly have no idea how any of this works or what to do. I really want to take care of this. I realize that I should have been more proactive about it and shouldn't have even let it get to this point. My husband works and makes a decent salary but with one child with serious medical needs and one child with serious therapy and psychological needs. We are broke and in debt even here. Just in medical expenses for one child last year we spent over $20,000. I don't have a choice I have to help my child. Please help Johnny!
Ladyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2016 at 5:07pm
What can I do? I know nothing about any of this and I have very little time tending to 2 special needs children. My husband makes a decent salary but it goes to take care of all of us and the mounting medical/therapy bills that we have. We are in credit card debt as it is trying to pay +$20,000 a year in medical expenses. HELP PLEASE!!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2016 at 1:30pm
Do you want one of us to show you how to do it - or do it for you? You pick. Either way it is cost friendly.  

We have the DIY method or the "we do it for you" one. 

Assessment is the first step. A case has to be made, opportunities and benefits opened up, and measure risks. Once a case is made then you are good to go.  You cannot make an appeal like this if you don't have a strong enough case. 

Once a case is established then you decide who you want to put it in motion. If you want a quote you can contact me at 866-239-7889. Leave a detailed message and contact information so one of us can get back to you. 

Most importantly, don't panic. Things work out for people who do the right things and make the right approaches.  

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Ladyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2016 at 2:13pm
Thank you Johnny. I will be contacting you following the holidays. I appreciate your help.
Ladyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 4:55pm
Johnny, can you tell me what some of your fees are? I'm just curious before I start on this adventure.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/January/2017 at 4:54am
We work on hourly, flate rate per scope of work, or a contingency, depending on the case. 

Some cases are extremely lengthy - large and time consuming, so many in this scenario go with a flat rate per scope of work. A set of tasks is laid out at a set cost.  You have to stay inside the scope of work though because if not, you incur additional cost on us and yourself.  

If you want us to help you settle or reduce the size of debt based on hardship with extenuating circumstances, a contingency scope of work is a good way. You pay scheduled costs on retainer and a small percentage (no more than 10%) of the financial benefit. 

If the issue is trivial and does not require a lot of time, then hourly is the way to go. Hourly rate is $100.00.  

No scope of work, service, or work agreement is executed blindly. We analyze and assess each and every case to determine opportunities, benefits, and risks. If there is a deserving benefit and opportunity to be had, then it is a good case and we invest. Case strength and truth is what determines outcomes.  

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply