This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOSAP in collections- please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OSAPsucks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OSAPsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OSAP in collections- please help
    Posted: 21/October/2016 at 12:08pm

Hello all hoping people on here can guide me a bit.

I graduated from university 3 years back, and due to a combination of expenses of living in a very expensive city and a significant disability(which OSAP was aware of when giving me the loans), I have been unable to make any payments.

Not long after graduation I had to declare bankruptcy due to owing back taxes and a lot of debts again all incurred because of my disability and all incurred prior to me starting University. 

Long story short I screwed up and my OSAP is now in collections. The federal portion is with CRA and we are working together to resolve everything... unfortunately, the provincial portion has been sent to a third party- they expect a one time payment of $22,000 or monthly payments of $900 for a few months until I can make the full payment.

I don't even have an extra $100/ month right now- running a slight deficit, so neither one of those options is even remotely feasible.

This whole situation is causing a lot of stress and anxiety and is negatively affecting my health.

Anyone know what my options are at this point. Can they garnish my wages? What are the laws governing OSAP debt collections? etc.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2016 at 7:18am
If you have a disability, and are clearly experiencing hardship you can appeal to BOTH federal and provincial. I am not surprised that the feds did not offer that option to you since their goal is to keep you in debt. The rehabilitation program is not all that much of a benefit to those who are in hardship and struggling to make ends meet. It is just a way for the government and quite likely the private service provider DH Ltd to make money.  

If you have a case you have have to make one. It is a hell of a lot of work and you have to invest time and some some money if you want to make it work. There are no organizations out there that provide this as a service other than us.  

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
OSAPsucks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OSAPsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2016 at 10:53am
I didn't even know I had a case, all my research and in speaking to NSLSC prior to going into collections, I was informed I didn't have any case based on disability as I was employed.

Do you mind me asking what the costs for your services be? and the process? results etc.
OSAPsucks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OSAPsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2016 at 12:44pm
Anyone have any suggestions? help!
Sonic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2016 at 12:54pm
Are you on ODSP?  Permanent/temporary?
OSAPsucks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OSAPsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2016 at 11:11am
No I'm not on ODSP, I am able to work if I take a lot of meds everyday... It's permanent, no cure.
FSL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2016 at 4:50am
It is important you let a professional deal with a collection agency. Eventually they will start a lawsuit against you. Check out   YYYYYYYYYYY.ca They will help.

NOTE FROM ADMIN:
Hmmm, poster has a law degree but is unable to comprehend the sign-up rules... go figure!
 Post Reply Post Reply