This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGovernment collections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ctsteele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctsteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government collections
    Posted: 31/October/2015 at 4:12am
[I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I looked hard around the forums to find the answer before posting.]

Several years ago I restarted paying my loan, they asked 550ish a month. The last two years (except December and summer months, I've been able to (unemployed in summer). So in the summer I always paid about 240 (which they said was interest added per month). Obviously this summer was like the others (even September is hard to give 560 if even possible as you stabilize for your summer losses).

I started receiving letters from both esdc and Ontario regarding school loans. I called them both to see what's up. Ontario was nice and polite and I told her I can pay their portion off by spring. The feds were irritating to say the least, giving me attitude and being all curt like I was some sort of delinquent. I told her to address me with a better tone or I was going to end the call. Now I received a follow up letter asking all kinds of personal questions like income, expenses, where I work. What are my rights (if any) when dealing with these people? Can I not fill it out? I agreed to pay them 700 or so when I work. Why should I undergo this level of scrutiny if I'm paying?

By the way, I used to keep communicating and cooperating etc. with NSLSC but they kept saying they didn't receive so and so documents (which I am 300 % sure I'd sent. Then after they'd ask me to send different information (like as though it was what they'd asked in the first place, which it was not). I just stopped bothered trying and just paid what I could when I could.

Back to fed collectors, if I make any payments (even if it were 50 a month), can they sue me because THEY feel I can pay more? I have to try to save for the weeks and months I don't work.
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2015 at 8:33am
The government of Canada is stepping up it's game in the recovery of student loans. This is something I warned of in earlier years on this site. The government is stepping up it's game in making sure that limitation issues do not infringe on their ability and mission to secure debt for the Crown. Those who are perceived by the government as frustrating to and of the system CRA Legal Services is suing people more frequently, and with very little warning. Wage garnishment is becoming more and more difficult to stop - or even reduce. Bankruptcy is going to become more and more difficult to get into - and out from underneath of. Student loan borrowers need to make plans in order to safeguard themselves and right now there are VERY few options available.
To answer your question, yes they can. This is why they are asking for more and more information. When you fill out and submit their financial information forms, this is their "weapon" to use against you. If they determine that you can pay more then they will force you to with an ultimatum. Fear is their tool of trade and power behind their government badge enables them to power these tools to serve their best interest.

Canada Revenue, as we know it, is a "for-profit" establishment that targets Canadian citizens and businesses to grab money. Next to the RCMP and Canadian Armed Forces, this agency is the third most powerful in Canada. The difference between the three however is clear that the first two are meant to serve and protect the people of Canada, except for CRA, which is to go out and financially, socially, and mentally injure people unless they do exactly as they demand. It is known fact that corruption within Canada Revenue Agency's walls runs more rampant than any other sector. If you follow the news you will see multitudes of cases whereas CRA agents and upper echelon have been caught doing the most egregious acts against people. It is no secret nor a surprise.

The Canada student loans program fits comfortably in CRA's mandate in respect of recovery and litigation. The only way to safeguard yourself from that vicious system is to plan and make the right moves. Otherwise, they will simply have their way with you. If you feel that you were treated unprofessionally or "oddly" by CRA's agent that you talked with then take notes. You need to be able to work with people who are willing to work with you. If you can't then this is when people approach The CFW Group and other professionals we network with.

Just remember - CRA cares about money. Not truth. Truth is what stands in their way. Their way of doing business is harsh at most times, with a heavy reliance on statistics that are as far of the mark as anything could get.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
bladerunner12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladerunner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2016 at 7:20pm
Whats the point of suing broke students,  doesn't the cost of lawyers make it not financially prudent. I mean civil law suits usually cost 20,000 just to start one.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2016 at 7:59am
The point (for them) is to protect and secure the crown's best interest. It doesn't matter what financial or professional situation a person is in. Plus. also the internal incentive programs given out to those who perform well and are productive to that cause. Here is an example of how government incentives work in Canada Revenue. Tax auditors are essentially sent out in the field and told to find money. Those who are productive to the government "find" money owed thus creating balances owing by companies and people that will bear interest and penalties. This generates revenue that the government can collect and in return, those auditors who generate lots of revenue are rewarded with promotion and pay increases. They categorize these by levels 1 through God knows how many now. The reality here is that it is also an incentive to be corrupt as it is posted in media reports all abroad. 

At least this gives you an idea of how things work internally. The Tax and student loan systems are a "BUSINESS" and are for profit. A huge disadvantage to consumer, social, and economic growth for this nation. This is also what is referred to as a "secret government", or underground one that is financially motivated and cartel-like. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
bladerunner12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladerunner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2016 at 9:24am
I totally agree, but if I was legal department and they want me to start a claim against someone on welfare I would demote them. in my view your spending good money after bad. The whole point is to bring in revenue, not lose it. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2016 at 5:39am
They don't see the world on the context or view you and I do. It is financially driven and money and power motivate them more so than moral view. 

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply