This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOSAP in default - over 15 years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ughhloans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ughhloans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OSAP in default - over 15 years
    Posted: 27/April/2015 at 7:43am
Brief history of my education (not important, but sets my tone)
I wanted to take computer programing (CPA), but was forced to take a first year BS course load of Marketing, Accounting, Math, English and so on...  I was doing great!  Had 80's in all my courses, then at exam time, I slept in for my accounting exam, which was worth 40% of my mark.  I got there with one hour left on the clock (class ended at 10am) the teacher said "you have 30 mins" as the test was 1.5 hours long and she denied me the extra half hour the class was supposed to last...  So I had 30 minutes to write a 1.5 hour test, I paniced and failed...  and she failed me!  I was furious!  Come the next semester, I was told I had to redo the first semester before I could get into the CPA course, but they didn't offer that until September...  So basically becuase of one class, I was denied the only reason I went to college... By the way, I wrote the entrance exam for computer programing and got a 98%!  So I quit...

My loan problem...
So here I am almost 20 years later.  I never paid a dime toward repayment of the loan, first I had been living on my own since I was 17.  I finished high school and got into college without any help but my own will...  I spent many years struggling to afford anything really.  It wasn't until I was in my early 30's that life started going my way financially...  and let me assure you, that it wasn't because of the education I received!  It's been a bitter pill my whole life that I owed this money, as I felt the system was rigged and I would have done better if I never went to school.  When the first bill arrived for the loan I was unemployed, young and stupid, and I just threw it out...  I moved a lot during my 20's and I'm sure that's why I fell of the radar, other than taxes, I never heard about this again...  and then the Canadian Gov. wrote off all those loans a I thought phew, it's over...  But then just this year, I began getting calls about my Ontario portion of my loan, which I understand is never written off, and still collecting interest...  That knowledge made my heart sink into my stomach...  I can't imagine what kind of interest has accumulated over 18-19 years of no payment.  The whole thing is ridiculous and painful.

1) Is there a way to make a settlement?  Which won't see me hurt with massive interest charges.
2) What other options do I have?
3) will admitting to this loan, allow the fed's to come get me for the loan they wrote off?
4) bankruptcy?  Although I don't think this is an option, as I now make enough money that they may just make me pay for it...
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2015 at 6:18am

You are better off seeking to have the loan set aside for a number of hardship reasons. I can help but there are my costs to be covered. You can also make an offer to settle but your best benefit would be the first route I mentioned.

The Rehabilitation program is your third but if you do that then you will renew the entire gig and still have it looming over your head. Not to mention make it virtually impossible for you to seek settlement or having it set aside. Rehabilitation programs of any sort wipe out your chances of two huge benefits.

People who are gainfully employed, benefitting from their education, have economic and professional growth opportunity, who are in default, and want to regenerate a loan out of default and pay 100% of it benefit from rehab programs.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
ughhloans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ughhloans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2015 at 7:33am
Hi Johnny,

I really want to put this behind me...  But I sure as heck don't want to have to pay 19 years of interest! 

So how do I go about this? How do I get a hold of you?

I'm not quite clear on what exactly you are proposing, but I'm sure you can spell it out to me...  I'm willing to pay for your assistance.  Thanks...
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2015 at 4:26am

You can reach me at 902-861-1210, or go to www.cfwgroup.ca and click on the contact us tab. That is the old site but it is still functioning. The new one is being set up.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Gloomy84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gloomy84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2015 at 7:51am
I am in the same boat.. with having my federal loan portion now taken care of... ARO is calling me for my provinicial side... I've pulled my credit report but I think the amount it shows is also wrong... I'm in southern ontario where do I call to get the info I need and send a letter to do a settle it out maybe for a lower amount... 

Will be soo happy when this is all over with :S
Gloomy84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gloomy84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2015 at 7:54am
I should mention I have had no conversations with ARO and nothing in writing from them in the last I think... 6 or 7 years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply