This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDesperate for advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MsCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Desperate for advice
    Posted: 28/July/2014 at 3:29am
I'm in a difficult, confusing situation and I'm not sure what to do. I can't afford to pay for services so your help here in the forum would be deeply appreciated. 

I moved overseas in Jan 2012 and haven't made any loan repayments (Canada + Ontario) since then. We moved for various reasons: I was offered work in another country initially, which didn't work out as I found out too late that the organization was corrupt and had to leave due to conflict with my personal values. We then stayed due to my partner's family needing us close, we were already living near to his family's home. 

My dad was supposed to be taking care of our loan repayments back in Toronto but has failed to do so. I was unaware it had gone this far, though I should have known given he has never been reliable (he's a burnt-out psychiatrist, and you know what they say about shrinks). It was part of his mission of supporting me later in life, having not done so throughout my childhood. It has obviously backfired miserably. 

We are now in a situation where I'm living somewhere with a bad economy, in addition to it being seemingly discriminatory against a 'foreigner'; I've only drawn this conclusion because it's been impossible to find any work. I'm not unemployed for a very long time, though my partner is working happily in his field (Thank God). It feels like my entire life is on hold. In Toronto, finding work was a breeze, life was happy. We now want to move back to Canada so that I can get my life back 2.5 years later. 

I've tried calling NSLC for information about my loans as I have NO idea what the status is. No one has contact us since we've left Canada. They want me to update my address and phone number when I call, and I'm apprehensive to do so because I'm afraid this will set off a deluge of collections agents calling to harass me; I'm already dealing with culture shock and clinical depression, I can't take any more stress as it is. The woman over the phone would not take the call any further when I wouldn't give her my new address and phone number, yet I'm afraid to give this information out due to the unknown repercussions that await. I don't know what to do. 

Do I call and just update my file, facing the music and uncertainty that will follow? 
Should I be more optimistic? i.e. perhaps I will reach someone who will negotiate my repayment? I am hoping there's still a way I will qualify for loan rehabilitation.
What would they likely tell me when I do finally speak to someone? Some of you must know from experience. Will I be asked to pay a large sum right away? Or can I negotiate repayments? 

Please explain more about this process to me so that I know what steps I have to take. I really want to go home, can't take crying everyday in a foreign country any more. I've had enough of a difficult time between my father, hardships with my career, now this. I used to be such a happy person and I want to return to that place now. 

Impatiently waiting for replies, with many thanks.      
Sponsored Links

MsCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 3:33am
I mean't that I've NOW* been unemployed a long time.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 9:01am
I believe you and I had communicated privately.  I responded to your email with some options and potential opportunities.  Write back to me and let me know when you want to proceed! We will get you back in control of this.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
angel44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote angel44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2014 at 7:09pm
Hello,

I wish I came on here more often for matters like these, I'm not sure if you've already resolved the matter or made contact with anyone further.

First, If you call the NSLSC, as long as you are able to verify your identity (SIN, Name, DOB, or a combination of Name, DOB and OLD address information) they are able to assist you, if they say they cannot continue with the call WITHOUT updating to your new address, request a supervisor, because someone there will be able to assist you)

If you haven't paid towards your loan in 2+ years the NSLSC will not have your loan anymore. They will give you a separate number to call (CRA Non-Tax Collection). Updating your contact information with the NSLSC won't cause any harm, it will be to your benefit if you do end up going through the rehabilitation program.

Without further details, I am assuming you have a loan that was taken out in the year 2000 or later. If this is not the case (i.e. your loan was taken out pre-2000, and through a bank, and not through your province) then you need not read on. 

Depending on the province your loan is in there may be different situations if you have both federal and provincial funding.

To qualify for rehabilitation  (on the federal portion of your loan) You will need to pay all the outstanding interest + 2 regular payments. This can be done all in one lump-sum or through payment arrangements. Once this amount is paid in full, your loan can be returned back to the NSLSC and at that time you will be able to reduce your monthly payments (likely significantly) from what they would be set up with the CRA.

My recommendation (if you haven't taken any steps yet) is to call the NSLSC, update your information, get the number for where you loan was sent (federal portion of loan) and find out from them how much you owe.

If you aren't prepared/able to make any payments at this time, and you have already not taken any action in 2+ years, then it might just be worth it to wait until you are either able to make some form of payment, or back in Canada.

Hope this helps, if not too late already.
MsCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2015 at 3:56am
I just wanted to say a big thank you to you, angel44. I read your post and forgot to reply but I did find it very comforting at the time and have felt less stressed about it since reading it. We had to delay our move back to Canada due to my partner's cold feet but are now looking to move back again when we have the moving expenses saved up. 

I'm unsure about whether to get the ball rolling with the NSLSC NOW or later (when we're back in Canada). I'm incredibly nervous about moving back and having legal trouble with them, having wages garnished, and not being able to survive or have enough money for cost of living. Is there any risk of this are are we safe to wait until we move back to Canada to get back in touch with the NSLSC? 

Many thanks in advance, angel44, and very best wishes to you.
MsCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2015 at 3:58am
Originally posted by angel44 angel44 wrote:

Hello,

I wish I came on here more often for matters like these, I'm not sure if you've already resolved the matter or made contact with anyone further.

First, If you call the NSLSC, as long as you are able to verify your identity (SIN, Name, DOB, or a combination of Name, DOB and OLD address information) they are able to assist you, if they say they cannot continue with the call WITHOUT updating to your new address, request a supervisor, because someone there will be able to assist you)

If you haven't paid towards your loan in 2+ years the NSLSC will not have your loan anymore. They will give you a separate number to call (CRA Non-Tax Collection). Updating your contact information with the NSLSC won't cause any harm, it will be to your benefit if you do end up going through the rehabilitation program.

Without further details, I am assuming you have a loan that was taken out in the year 2000 or later. If this is not the case (i.e. your loan was taken out pre-2000, and through a bank, and not through your province) then you need not read on. 

Depending on the province your loan is in there may be different situations if you have both federal and provincial funding.

To qualify for rehabilitation  (on the federal portion of your loan) You will need to pay all the outstanding interest + 2 regular payments. This can be done all in one lump-sum or through payment arrangements. Once this amount is paid in full, your loan can be returned back to the NSLSC and at that time you will be able to reduce your monthly payments (likely significantly) from what they would be set up with the CRA.

My recommendation (if you haven't taken any steps yet) is to call the NSLSC, update your information, get the number for where you loan was sent (federal portion of loan) and find out from them how much you owe.

If you aren't prepared/able to make any payments at this time, and you have already not taken any action in 2+ years, then it might just be worth it to wait until you are either able to make some form of payment, or back in Canada.

Hope this helps, if not too late already.

And, yes, the loans are from 2006 onward. They are both federal and provincial.
angel44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2015 at 6:16pm
Hello,

There will certainly be the risk of having either legal troubles or wages garnished once you return back to Canada, In my experience both of these things happening are rare. It could all depend on how much you owe among other things. 

If you aren't prepared to start paying anything right now then I would suggest waiting until you are back. If you can save some money to be prepared to put down a lump sum once you return, that may end up being your best option. 

This is of course with my experience only, as far as the legality side of things, I cannot say as I only have information regarding loans that pass through the NSLSC, and that is about where it ends.

If you can find out how much your interest is with the HRSDC, that will be the first step to getting that loan back in good standing, if you are able to pay that, the options become better for that federal portion.

The provincial portion of your loans will likely give you less trouble, and should be your second priority when the time comes. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2015 at 7:48am

"Updating your contact information with the NSLSC won't cause any harm, it will be to your benefit if you do end up going through the rehabilitation program."

If you want to expose yourself then this is the way to go about doing it. As a consumer and student advocate, I would caution any borrower residing outside of Canada.  CRA Legal Services is a very active organization in securing debt to the Crown, especially the student loans program. It is not a question of can they, it is a matter of time and they will unless they miss out on a limitation and timing of that.

The NSLSC is responsible for harming more student loan borrowers in Canada than imaginable.

You are better off appealing for compromise, especially since from what you described as your case being that of no economic or professional benefit from the education received, completed or as a result of early withdrawal. Nonetheless, there is no benefit so why pin yourself in a corner only to have the system sit on your shoulders once again?

It's time for Canada student loan borrowers to know what their options are and identify benefits that will better serve them rather than the Canada student loans program, and it's recovery systems.

People who have benefited from their education professionally and economically then they should pay and maintain their responsibility to the system. However, people who have absolutely no financial or professional benefit, or have been forced to withdraw early should consider what I have stated above.

The is no benefit being forced into a lifetime of servitude to a system in this event.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
baboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2015 at 4:31am
Hi Johnny,

What if you're living abroad and NSLSC has your current address? What kind of jurisdiction does the CRA have outside of Canada?
I don't plan on moving back to Canada, but I'm also afraid of being tracked down by creditors - especially when I have enough trouble making ends meet as it is!

Thanks for the help
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2015 at 3:31am
CRA has a lot of jurisdiction. They usually take action against a borrower in Canada, whether you are here or not. After that, it all depends on where you are located, and whether or not the Canadian government can legally transfer over to a private lawyer to be pursued in another country. International law would show where they can and cannot.  

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply