This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Wife and Loan forgivness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hahns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hahns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Wife and Loan forgivness
    Posted: 13/April/2014 at 9:19am
Hi everyone,

My wife had her provincial and federal loans forgiven because of severe disability about six months ago.

After having surgery she is now feeling better and is no longer bed ridden. She wants to start working part-time (10-12hrs) a week and if she can then full time.

What will happen to that cancelled debt when she files her taxes that show an income? Will they reactivate those forgiven loans?

I am telling my wife not to work, but it would make her happier. I am just worried about having to deal with 25k plus debt again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links

hahns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hahns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2014 at 3:59pm
No ideas?
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2014 at 6:22pm
Go slowly...try some part time work.... I know the temptation to get back to work is strong, but overdoing will make things difficult. 

Perhaps read through the student loan website at canlearn.ca to see what the exact definition  of disability is.   There has been some concern about that.  I don't know of any cases where the forgiveness was reversed, but I have heard that its not actually 'forgiveness' but that the loans are removed from active recovery.

Perhaps volunteering first to see how much work she can handle?

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
hahns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hahns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2014 at 11:06pm
Thank you Mark, that was an insightful post.  What does it mean if loans are just removed from active recovery?

I believe the definition for her scenario is that she should be unable to work for the rest of her life. She truly cannot work steadily, as I do not see her symptoms staying in remission for very long, but to her working part time now is important.

The issue is that if she works this year part-time for three months or however long before her symptoms return what will be the consequences. Does anyone know of if it can be reversed or how this is all audited?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2014 at 3:58pm
I think the rules have changed to "severe permanent disability"  so if she can go back to work, then she would not qualify.   "want to" and "can" are two different things.  I'm not sure if there are any precedents or anything like that here. There is RAP for people with disabilities now, so I'm not sure how this would all play out.   I don't know if the CRA and NSLSC share data with each other so I don't know if your wife's student loan account would be flagged. 

The old wording was something along the line of "restricting your ability to participate in the work force"  which was interpreted to be able to work part-time, but they changed it to severe disability.  

Not sure if anyone here has a definitive answer for you. The govt might not even know.

Administrator
Mark OMeara
hahns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hahns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2014 at 3:43pm
Thanks Mark...what is this RAP?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2014 at 4:00pm
RAP = Repayment Assistance Program
Administrator
Mark OMeara
chrisnat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisnat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2018 at 2:32am
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

I think the rules have changed to "severe permanent disability"  so if she can go back to work, then she would not qualify.   "want to" and "can" are two different things.  I'm not sure if there are any precedents or anything like that here. There is RAP for people with disabilities now, so I'm not sure how this would all play out.   I don't know if the CRA and NSLSC share data with each other so I don't know if your wife's student loan account would be flagged. 

The old wording was something along the line of "restricting your ability to participate in the work force"  which was interpreted to be able to work part-time, but they changed it to severe disability.  

Not sure if anyone here has a definitive answer for you. The govt might not even know.

Hi there, 

Is it possible if my doctor confirmed my sever permanent disability and still I am working, NSLSC approved my application?

also, if I quite, and apply, what will happen if in the future I go to work? Is the illegal? Does NSLSC check if I am at work?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply