This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorth seeking advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alarson88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alarson88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worth seeking advice?
    Posted: 05/September/2013 at 10:15am
My story is a little long, but basically I'm wondering if there's anything I could do to better my situation or if it's worth getting professional help.

I've had an anxiety disorder since I was 8 years old. I had seen some professionals growing up but was not helped or medicated. Through high school, I'd often skip classes and stay home if my agoraphobia was especially bad. I did somehow graduate despite this was grades good enough to attend post-secondary.

I toon out a student loan for university but had to drop out after first year due to my attendance problem. My anxiety was still not being managed properly and I went home to live with my parents. I spent the next 2 years there only leaving my room to attend a night-job and paid my student loans just fine...

But then my mother convinced me to try school again. This time medicated for adhd, thinking I'd forget my agoraphobia with the help of a drug to make me study. I was wrong (obviously) and was kicked out for attendance problems after the first semester.

After that, my anxiety got so bad that I didn't work or leave my house for a year and a half. And because I'm afraid to talk to people, I didnt inform the government about my inability to pay each month and just let them go to collections.

I am currently being seen by a therapist and doctor that are helping me to manage my anxiety and I have been doing much better. I called the government on my own and began to make $300/m payments towards the $18k I owe. I can't pay any more than that (which is hard enough) because I only have a part time job right now.

I know I screwed up royally and I'm not looking for my loan to magically go away but this has obviously killed my credit rating and I doubt if I ever want to try school again when my anxiety is fully managed, I'll qualify for a loan.

Talking on the phone is still hard for me so I'd rather not call for advice if there isn't any to be given. Besides just paying the $300 each month, if there's anything that could better my situation at all, I'll call in. Is it worth it?
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply