This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow I got RBCand NSLSC to forgive over $20,000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sarahclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I got RBCand NSLSC to forgive over $20,000
    Posted: 09/July/2013 at 10:41am
Keep every single piece of paper they send you. Date it and sign it and even get someone to witness it. Make notes on every single phone call including the date and time and the name of everyone you speak with. If you are disabled, send them a sternly worded letter outlining exactly what you need in terms of accommodation and request that you have one single point of contact who will be the ONLY person you will speak with about your loans. Be very insistent on this point because then there is one person, and one person only, who is responsible (personally and financially) for what they tell you.

Also consider recording all calls. You have to tell them you are doing that but they will put you through to a manager if you tell them you are recording the call. They record the calls and you have every right to as well. You need to document everything at every stage. As soon as they realized the amount of documentation I had they panicked and that was that.

Do not hesitate to go to your MP and MPP for help. They can call on your behalf with your consent. Do not give up and do not let them push you around. They all seem to think since you are sick you will just curl up and die at the first struggle. Do not. I found having the one person to speak with was better and there was a lot less confusion. If you document everything, they have no where to go.

Good luck and let me know what happens.
STUDENT LOAN FREE SINCE 2013
Sponsored Links

elliemae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2013 at 2:18pm
Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. I hope you are feeling better and getting good treatment. If you're up to it, I'm interested to hear more about your story and any other advice you might have. I am hoping to apply for the RAP-PD program but I suspect I will face significant hurdles. If you have any further advice, I'd be glad to hear it. I can be reached here or at rainbowstarbrite@****.

sarahclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sarahclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2013 at 1:46pm
I will not go into specifics because it would take too long but I just so scared the crap out of RBC and the NSLSC that they miraculously forgave over $20,000 in loans. I made it clear I was not going away even though I am seriously ill and dealing with a possible brain tumour. I calmly explained to them what I had as proof of their behaviour and that it proved they had been instructed to do everything they could to deal RAP applications and frustrated disabled people into dropping the process. Well, here is what you have to do:

When dealing with these morons (which is the nicest non swear I can call them) ALWAYS DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. DATE EVERY LETTER YOU RECEIVE THEM THEM AND KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND THEM (ALL DATED AND SIGNED AND WITNESSED). IF YOU ARE SICK, DEMAND ONE POINT OF CONTACT FOR YOU TO DEAL WITH AND NO ONE ELSE. INSIST ON IT BECAUSE THAT PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE LEGALLY AND FINANCIALLY FOR EVERYTHING THEY TELL YOU. MAKE NOTES ON EVERY PHONE CALL AND INCLUDE THE DATE, TIME AND NAME OF PERSON YOU ARE SPEAKING WITH (AGAIN, ANYONE YOU SPEAK WITH IS LEGALLY AND FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT THEY SAY GO MARK THE DATE AND TIME AND GET THEIR NAME). IF YOU CAN GET A SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT, TELL THEM YOU ARE RECORDING THE CONVERSATION AND DO SO EVERY TIME.

Once I made it very clearly I had all this documentation, they were falling all over themselves insisting that they had to speak with me. I followed my doctors orders and ignored them. Then I got a letter form NSLSC saying Congratulations your loans have been paid in full. I logged into the NSLSC site to verify and it says they owe me 30 cents. I logged into the RBC site and it says I owe less than $200 for both my loans. Hell of a lot nicer than $24,000.

STAND UP FOR YOURSELF AND NEVER TAKE NO OR I DO NOT KNOW AS AN ANSWER. CALL B.S. ON THEM WHENEVER YOU HAVE TO. GET ONE POINT OF CONTACT AND DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING LESS THAN YOU DESERVE. IF YOU HAVE THE BACK UP DOCUMENTATION IT WILL GO YOUR WAY.
Fight!!! Post to this if you need suggestions or encouragement because by the time I am done, RBC will be forgiving my overdraft I had to get to pay my loans and both RBC and NSLSC will be removing every last thing they have put on my credit record.

Go to your provincial ombudsman, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Ombudsman for whoever handles your Canada Loans, your MPP and MP (they do really help) and anyone you can think of. Have as much documentation as you can and do not stop.
STUDENT LOAN FREE SINCE 2013
 Post Reply Post Reply