This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeartfelt issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bloodaxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heartfelt issue
    Posted: 17/February/2012 at 4:26am
I'm in what might be called time for a need of healing. I was born with a heart condition - a slow heart. Because of this I had implanted my first pacemaker at the age of 9. I had my 8th pacemaker implanted less than a month ago, which has a built in defibrilator in case my heart goes to fast or stops. This last pacemaker was replaced as the previous one crapped out 2.5 years earlier than it should have. I have also been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, as well another birth orientated condition which was rediscovered  Jan. 2008. I have what is called a Congenitally Corrected Transposition of the Greater Arteries. In simpler terms, my lower right heart chamber is the doing the work the left should be doing - and vice-a-versa. My heart is enlarged and tired. This latter condition I guess is normally fixed surgically before a child hits age 6. And now, since this surgery was never done,  and at age 49, corrective surgery isn't not possible. The only way to deal with this is through a heart transplant, and I can't even get listed till I lose 50 pounds. 

I had two other student loan issues that were dealt with. One was was cancelled as I am on AISH and CPP, and I haven`t worked since March of `08, and the Canada Student loan has basically been placed in limbo and payment will not be pursued due to my health issues. These loans were from my going to school from 1998 - 2003, but a new portion (through RBC) that was forgotten has arisen since over a year ago through a collection agency called CBV.

They have started phoning me again now and I have reminded them that when they first contacted them documents with regards to my current health status had been sent to them expressing my dire situation, inability to pay and most likely my never being able to work again. They give me comments such as; `Well you were born in 1963, and things could improve - ( two of my health issues are congenital and improvement is not possible), and other similar comments.

I have told them that I am not refusing to pay, But that I am unable to pay at all. I have no car or any other assets. I have no options open to me to get any form of assistance to pay this off from family or the like. It angers me so that the other loans people I delt with made allowances due to my current health issues but CBV seemingly won`t. Any ideas for me....
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2012 at 11:13am
If the loan was from 1993 -2003 or so, and you havent acknowledged the debt in writing, then the loan is likely Statute Barred - in otherwords RBC has no legal right to collect it.   You want to be careful about acknowledging the loan.  Tell CBV that the loan is stats barred and to stop calling you.  See if that works.   Read up on the stats barred forum on this site for more info.  

Keep us posted ....

Mark

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Bloodaxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2012 at 4:17am
Please define; " acknowledged the debt in writing"?
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2012 at 4:12pm
I should clarify that to "acknowledge the debt" which would make a stats barred loan collectable. 

While I run the site, I admit I'm not an expert on the issues of stats barred loans.  John Leblanc at CFWGroup.ca is so you might check his website.

For more info on "statute barred loans" see this forum at

http://canadastudentdebt.ca/forum_topics.asp?FID=90&title=collection-of-old-stats-barred-loans

Either way, I think it is imoral for RBC and CBV to be trying to collect on this loan especially given your health conditions.

Keep us posted.
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
 Post Reply Post Reply