This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCIBC/IBB/FDR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CIBC/IBB/FDR
    Posted: 15/January/2012 at 5:40am
You could challenge the set-ff that occurred as a violation (trespass) because of a limitation issue. The onus though is on you to prove that it is statute barred first. THen you make the argument trespass once you are armed with that evidence.

When a limitation law cites No action or proceedings can be taken after a prescribed period of time expires, it is speeled right out here. "Action" is defined as doing something and not limited to legal action. "Proceedings" is more relevent to legal procveedings, but it does not state legal proceedings. It just cites proceedings thus not limited to legal action.

Some provinces make things up as they go along. They see a brown cow and decide they want to call it a white cow. so, with the power that they have, they make it law that a white cow is really a brown cow. LOL

The only provinces that have the correct ruling on a limitation issue are B.C. and Newfoundland.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

CrystalUnicorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrystalUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2012 at 10:33pm
Mark,
Proposal for you. I can give you a call on Monday if you hear my situation and feel you can help me I will pay you your fee out of the the money the cibc has taken from me 
I really do respect the free clinic's etc but I always subscribed to you get what you pay for.
let me know what it may cost and feel free to send the answer to my email addy.
CrystalUnicorn
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2012 at 2:17pm
See if there is any free legal advice available.  See if your local university with a law department runs a free legal clinic. 

Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission
Delivers legal services via a network of 16 community-based law offices. Financial eligibility rules apply.

Dalhousie Law School Legal Aid Service
Dalhousie law students provide free legal assistance in the north-central neighbourhood of Halifax. 

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrystalUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2012 at 12:35am

(e) all actions grounded upon any lending, or contract, expressed or implied, without specialty, or upon any award where the submission is not by specialty, or for money levied by execution, all actions for direct injuries to real or personal property, actions for the taking away or conversion of property, goods and chattels, actions for libel, malicious prosecution and arrest, seduction and criminal conversation and actions for all other causes which would formerly have been brought in the form of action called trespass on the case, except as herein excepted, within six years after the cause of any such action arose;

Hi again this is the quote from the limitations act of NS. I am very cautious to read too much into this legal language can sometimes be difficult to interpert. But it does appear from what I am reading the document I am challenging is not only fraud (I did not take it out) But it was from 1995 and the first I heard of this was 2007.
I would be interested in the moderators comments on this.
I agree I have to act. I also have to be careful. I also have to rely on "free" advice right now as I don't have a red cent to my name and the bank's action really crippled me this last 30 days and it is only by luck I have a great landlord. Who understood and is working with me.
CrystalUnicorn
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/January/2012 at 4:06am
There is likely a limitation issue and if you write to them then you have to be VERY careful how you word what you write to them. If the debt is statute barred then no action or proceedings can be taken to recvoer it.  An off-set is an "action", and if it is statute barred and an action was taken to recover all or some of the debt, then the argument is there.

You will need some pro help writing a letter like this that protects you, and that does not jeopardize your legal right in that respect.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/January/2012 at 11:02am
Student loans are written under the federal program, otherwise known as the CSLP. CIBC is not permitted to "sell" a debt as a receivabe to a third-party. They would have to get the government to back them on it and approver such a thing.

THe CSL program is cited int he CSLFA whereas the government can purchase 1% of the bank's losses after a certain point for a few cents on the dollar. Collectionagencies and third-party debt buyers have no access to student loan accounts.

Trust me, FDR did not buy the account from CIBC. It is just assigned to them for collection.

The money that was off-set from your bank account is applied to your CIBC student loan. FDR does not handle that money. FDR has access to information thatis given to them through CIBC. THis access allows the collection agency to view certain data. One of these access routes is called "Collection Highway".  

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
nido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/January/2012 at 11:01am
Johnny-
The student loan from what i gathered is either from 1997 ot 1999. I dont recall ever making a payment to cibc for this loan.   The " letter" they sent me last week was dated 2001 regarding a nsf check.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrystalUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/January/2012 at 8:39am

I have a question about a post you made. And the law's in which govern them if you could put me in the right direction to find out more that would be great.
as I stated before I did not take out a CLS from CIBC.
But the money was IBB transfered out of my account. Did the money actually go to FDR Ltd or did it stay with the CIBC. If FDR Ltd isn't allowed to buy the debt how are they allowed to speak on any of the details.

Here is the info you posted
CIBC is not permitted to "sell" the student loan  to a third-party agency. A lot of that has to do with Federal legislation and law.  The only party that is allowed to buy a federal student loan from the bank is the government of Canada (known as the put-back agreement with the financial institutions involved int he first generation program).

I would be interested in the answer as I am still caught in this swirling mess.
Thanks
CrystalUnicorn
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2012 at 1:49pm

Nido,

First, before you write any letters, how old is that loan? When was the laswt time you made a payment on it (voluntarily), or sent anything to them signed and in writing?

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrystalUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2012 at 8:08am
FDR as stated before enploys only automated dry soulless people.
FDR also has not sent me any documentation. They told me it would be three to four weeks to get the information and Cathy Worth who I originally talked to won't even take my call anymore. I still don't have my money back but am working with the police now to find out what can be done.
One of the things I have come up with is there is a part on the canada student loan document that states you give permission for CIBC/RBC CANADA TRUST/BMO etc they have the right to contact family friends credit reports etc to find you to secure this debt.
I have recently sent in a letter taking back that permission. I don't know how effective it will be. But in the letter to the CIBC student loan center I have stated I am removing my consent to release any and all information about me I have also delivered a copy of this to my bank. My intention with this letter is to stop them from looking into my bank account and seeing any and all money or transactions. I will post and tell everyone if my action works.
Until then a note to all
** clean out your bank account if you have any auto deposits
GST or CCTB they go in on the 5th of each quarter Jan/April/July/Oct CCTB the 20 th of each mo. Get to a bank machine the night of the deposit or first thing in the morning and take your money out or switch to a credit union.
The website shows FDR's clients and the big five are right there (CIBC/RBC CANADA TRUST/BMO)
Also any and all conversations you have with CIBC/CIBC student loan Center/ or FDR are noted in  a shared data base and if one is recording it they are all reading it. Hope my info can at least help.
One finial note the CIBC collection (IBB) told me they only money they cannot touch is senior tax returns everything else if up for grabs. Ouch
Crystal Unicorn

nido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2012 at 2:13am
FDR is the most ridiculas "company" I have ever dealt with in my life.  Will not send me any documents-wants me to send them documents....like really...what kind of ars-formis place is this?

What do I need to send CIBC and/or FDR to get them to back off? 

Do I need any type of legal documents from anyone?

Any advice would be awesome

beatsbydresale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beatsbydresale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2012 at 3:24pm
I quite agree with you there! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrystalUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2011 at 11:16am

Hi again everyone.

Well been doing some digging around trying to figure out my own situation however to date, No Joy on that one. I keep calling the bank the student loan office and faxing off documents to the oh so wonderful people at FDR Ltd. (who by the way seem to be very dry automated and repetitive)

Well after sending a denial letter and a letter for demand of documents photocopies of my NS Id and Health card (which I was very nervous doing since I have been a victim of Identity fraud from 1994)

Here are some details I have discovered.

Insert any bank branch on the line *__________Bank*/Student Loan Center/FDR Ltd.

They share a database any notes made on file with student loan will be viewable by FDR Ltd. It is the bank that alerts FDR Ltd. There is money in the account and they use their “off set rule” to grab what ever money is in the account the only money they are not allowed to touch is Senior Tax Refund.

It does not matter if the only thing going into that account is the CCTB or GST or any other funds.

Their is somethinggg very off with relationship with the bank and NSLC and FDR (by the way NationaStudentntnt Loan Center lol shares it initials with the Nova Scotia Liquor Commissionsion which I would love a drink rinownowf(maybe FDR will buy me a New Years Eve drink)) and I have no problem with the NS liquor commission . Just to clear that up.

It seems to me that my next plan of action is going to be going back to the CIBC for my account and show me where I signed away my right to privacy.

I am pretty sure the only people that have the right to “look” in on my personal accounts are people I have given the right too. *(Example: I am receiving disability from the province of NS. I have to sign a waiver every year that allows them access to my bank accounts income tax returns etc...) However I much like any other person out there barley reads the entire document when they sign for a bank account

FYI- my CIBC account was opened in 2005*

I have found that the loan was taken out in Feb 1994 In Feb of 1994 I was seven months pregnant with my youngest son who was born in April 1994 and at that time I had a 18 mo old home on the floor. Where did I have time to go to school. It may be a null point but I know I did not take out this loan and I know I don't have to prove anything to this forum but well that is one of the facts.

Well guys here is where I have gotten too.

I'm not holding my breathe in this matter.

I would for sure hire someone if they had left me even a dollar to work with but they took every cent.

Do I feel bullied or what All I can do now is start my harasment in 2012 to get my funds back or have them prove it was me that took this out. If anyone has any additional ideas or thoughts to share. I'll be here I'm too damn broke now to even buy a lotto max for tonight

Oh well they will probably draw my numbers.

Regards

CrystalUnicornDisapprove

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2011 at 4:02am

CIBC is not permitted to "sell" the student loan  to a third-party agency. A lot of that has to do with Federal legislation and law.  The only party that is allowed to buy a federal student loan from the bank is the government of Canada (known as the put-back agreement with the financial institutions involved int he first generation program).

If they are saying that a cheque was returned NSF they should also have a copy of it for legal purposes. If they cannot produce evidence of it then it is hearsay. Anyone can put a note in someone's file saying that.  

solvestudentdebt.com
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2011 at 4:47pm
I think this might be grounds for a privacy complaint.... Perhaps John can answer this question about the offset. 
Administrator
Mark OMeara
nido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2011 at 10:53am
a question for someone who knows what they are talking about:

I realize that if you owe money to a bank they have the right to offset-however, if they "sold" (not sure of the proper terminology) your debt to a collections agency-do they have the right to "sell" your account information (bank account info) as well?

I am still confused to the CIBC/FDR relationship.  Found out today that the "IBB" is actually an interbranch something or another-now I am pissed that no one at CIBC could tell me this?

Still all a bit sketchy in my book.

However, I got the "documents" from CIBC-do you want to know what they sent me?  A copy of a letter from June 2001 saying that a check was returned NSF-now mind you I don't recall ever writing them a check but however stranger things have happened-but I guess they misunderstood when I said send me EVERYTHING.  I requested these phantom checks. They have yet to send me something with my signature on it.

I want this to go away in the most painful way on CIBC's part-any thoughts?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2011 at 10:32am
You shouldnt have to prove a negative! 
Administrator
Mark OMeara

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrystalUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2011 at 10:09am
Well sitting here still fighting. FDR said they will send me the papers but not by mail but by fax.
will be interesting too see. I contacted Student loan center they cannot find the originating documents. I don't know how this is going to play out. I didn't have a loan and no one can  show me. And with out being able to verify my signature. I don't know where I'll stand. It is really hard to prove a negative.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2011 at 5:44am
Nido, I send email about CTV wanting to do a story... Can you email me at webmaster@candastudentdebt.ca  thanks

Administrator
Mark OMeara
nido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2011 at 5:33am
sorry-loan goes back to 1999-the last note on file from me is 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>