This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedgetting sued by Attorney General

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2012 at 8:41am
Perhaps you can provice the name of the law firm, paralegal at that firm, and volunteer that information so everyone can benefit from it. THis way everyone gets treated equally, like the CSLP laws require.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2012 at 8:44am
I connect with justice Canada and CLAS almost daily. Perhaps you and I can put something together for the community who this situation applies to. ` That way when the system doesn't work for people like it did for you, there is an outpost fro them to resort to.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Nora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2012 at 11:14am
Hello,
I received a letter saying my wages are going to be garnished, I need to respond within days. They also added a fee of $850.00 called " bill of costs"

It inlcudes,
Pleadings, drafting, issuing.... $500
Under it says
The limit of recovery in all cases when the matter is uncontested is 50% of this amount.

What does that mean?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2012 at 11:31am

It represents a portion of their costs which is passed on to the defendant.

solvestudentdebt.com
champwithin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote champwithin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2013 at 5:17pm
John....

The lawyer that the c-i-b-c sent my student loan to filed a suit to sue me. I went to a legal clinic to find out how to file a defense. They told me to admitt to owing the principal, but deny owing the interest . so this is how I wrote up my defense, got it noterized and sent it in.

2 weeks later The lawyer called me ...screaming through the phone...I guess he didn't like me defending myself...anyway, its been 3yrs ago now since i filed my defense and nothing further has come. So i don't know if it still could come up for trial, or what

The loans are from 1998, I read on here that you said if you admit to owing anything then they can still take action against you. So i would assume they still can since thats what i said in my defense.

C-R-A does take all my income tax returns,g-s-t,/h-s-t credits etc....they were not garnishing my wages at least up intill i was laid off a year and hald ago. while I was on E-I they didn't take anything off that ...but i m wondering if maybe when i do get workng again if they might.

is there any advice you can give me ?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2013 at 1:07pm
You should check the court where the claim was filed and ask what the latest action or event was. Chances are they just left it there to dry out. CIBC's third-party legal agentd are known for that nonsense here in the East Coast.
When was the last time you made a payment or issued a signed letter or document to them prior to the action being taken? Who is the attorney representing CIBC or the collection agency that recommended the action be taken?
If the debt is statute barred and you filed your defense improperly then that may likely reset the clock on limitations. Filing a defense is easy to do and if you suspect there is a limitation issue in place then filing a defense in that manner may cause problems in the sense of making the argument.
KRMC is a law firm they use in Toronto who profess themselves to be creditor's rights lawyers who are vicious towardd student loan borrowers and anyone CIBC puts on their hi tlist.  I have seen them do some pretty shady things over the years.

If you have a debt owed tot he Crown, namely student loans, they will take any income tax rebate you are entitled to IF the loan is in default, and CRA assigned to collect it. Same goes for provincial guaranteed or direct loans. They have a federal set-off gateway that alows them to wet their beaks with your rebate money.

solvestudentdebt.com
ZOTAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZOTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/January/2014 at 4:11am
Hi Johnny!

You seem to be very knowledgeable I will be sure to check out your website.  Could you please provide your opinion on my situation?

I live in the US, for the past 5 years.  I was on interest relief because my hubby and I were unemployed.  I am an artist and have been living below the Ontario/Manitoba mandated poverty line due to infrequent work.  I owe appox $20, 000 to Canada Student loans I took out in 1999.  CRA has been calling me as  my debt has been transferred from NLSCC to CRA last year 2013.  My husband got a job in 2012, that year my interest relief was denied, even though my individual income continued to be below the poverty line.   My 2011 tax return indicated to me that there is a garnishee on my any credits/refund that I may be entitled to from both Federal and Provincial tax returns for the last year I lived in Canada 2010.

My question is this:   A credit counselor told me the worst thing I could to was be put on any payment plan.  She advised me to file banckrupcy, or offer CRA a consumer proposal so I could , and pay an affordable lump sum.   But can they sue me if I never return to Canada?

b) If I win an monetary award for my work from the Canada Council for the Arts - can they seize this money from my bank account?  The award is for 5000.  
erinm1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinm1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2015 at 3:22pm

Hi Johnny.

I really need your help! I got a letter delivered to me at work today saying I was being sued. The last page of the document said I have 20 days to make arrangements! I've never paid on my SL and I've been out of school since 2005. What should I do?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2015 at 4:25am

Hi Zotam. Our new web site is coming out shortly. The old one is still good though.

Erin, if they are suing you then you have to address it. Otherwise it will escalate out of control. I can help you in many ways but I need to know your circumstances in greater length here to determine strategy and plan it's action to make this a productive solution for you. There are fees for justice intervention and mediation work I do. You would fall in this category given the nature of your problem. If you want a consultation and quote I'd be happy to talk with you and open a file. If interested you can go to www.cfwgroup.ca and fill in a request for consultation by phone using the "contact us" page. Or, call us here at 902-861-1210. Leave your contact info in the voice mail message.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2015 at 5:33am

Hi Erinm1980, I am in discussions with Justice Canada this afternoon for you. Check in with me tomorrow afternoon. 

solvestudentdebt.com
trzaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trzaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2017 at 6:36am
Hey Freedom,

I just got served papers from Superior Court Justice for my remaining student loans even though I just paid a large amount of over $4000 a couple of months ago.

I just had a couple of questions and i'm hoping you can help:

1. Did you contact the lawyer that served you these papers? If so, what did you call to inquire about?
2. Can I call CRA directly to arrange payment with them, overstepping the lawyer that served me?
3. Did you have to submit a defense and an Affidavit of Service?

Thanks I would really appreciate your guidance as your situation sounds very similar to my own.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
T
Sasha s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sasha s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2017 at 5:04pm
Hello,

I recently received a letter telling me to contact federal student loans office or they will serve me with legal papers or garnish my accounts. I just want to know what happened with your situation. Did you settle? Did you get a warning letter before you were served? also, did they serve you at home, in person?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
DEBTOFDESPAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEBTOFDESPAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2017 at 11:11am
Same thing just happened to me. Waiting on Freedom/Johnny's reply as well... Not sure what the first step is. 
Sarah
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2017 at 3:41am
If you are looking for professional assistance from CFW Group Inc concerning student loan problems or crisis, please visit: 

http://www.cfwgroup.ca/assessment-cfw-group

Here, you will receive analysis, advice, and a best approach. It is the best DIY solution for people.  

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12