This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOPD and Exceptional Financial Hardship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
markomeara View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Site Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markomeara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OPD and Exceptional Financial Hardship
    Posted: 20/August/2002 at 5:14am
Another letter to HRDC.... challenging their assertion that being on Orderly Payment of Debts removes a financial hardship....

August 20, 2002

Mr. Dave Cogliati
Director General
HRDC Student Loans Program

Dear Sir,

I have spoken with the trustee who looked after my bankruptcy and advised him of your department?s decision that I do not qualify for the exceptional financial hardship due to the fact that I am on the Orderly Payment of Debts program. His first comment is that this does not make any sense. He also agrees that the Surplus Income Table calculation uses net income less other deductions as outlined in my previous letter.
     I have done some more research and can easily conclude that remaining on the OPD program for my life, as suggested by your staff, would in itself constitute exceptional financial hardship, not a solution.
     Under the OPD program, I am barred from applying for any credit or possessing a credit card. As a result, I will not have any available methods of rebuilding my credit rating for the rest of my life.

Here are just a few of the consequences of remaining on OPD and being unable to re-establish a credit rating:
·     At payments of $25 per month, the loan will never be paid off in my lifetime.
·     I will be accruing interest of $100 per month.
·     Barred from any rental accommodations that require a credit check.
·     Barred from further education, as I will not qualify for reinstatement options of CSFAA.
·     Loss of income due to inability to pass credit references for renting office space for counselling practice.
·     Increased banking costs as I will not qualify at free banking institutions
·     Barred from re-establishing my writing career due to inability to obtain any financing and credit review of publishers.
·     Barred from having a credit card for the rest of my life and therefore never able to rent a car, or rent a hotel or hostel.
·     If I attempt to raise a family, we well be forced to live at the poverty level for all our lives, as all surplus income will have to be sent to OPD.
·     Live with a bad credit rating for the rest of my life.

My current part-time job involves teaching MS-Office skills at the college level. It is anticipated that in the next five years, these courses will become high-school courses and I will need to find other employment. Utilizing my masters degree in counselling requires additional education and training, as well as setting up a private practice. I will not be able to do this without re-establishing my credit rating.
     In light of the above, please review my case. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Mark O?Meara

Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2003 at 5:06pm

June 29, 2003

Dear Mark,

I am new to this site; I was actually referred by someone who works at a bank other than the one from which I secured my loan.  After having read half of the nightmares and most of the disability topics(I'm in that category), I am more confused and less confident than ever.  This is no reflection on you.  I laud your work and this site and I wish you well in your situation.

There are so many options as to how to proceed; I suspect that what most of us need is individualized strategies which is like asking for the moon.  What I would appreciate is hearing from someone in Manitoba whose loans are in default.

When I returned to school I did so with the purpose of improving my lot, not entering the house of horrors.  Most or all of us deserve better tthan harrassment, berating and theft.  I remain optimistic and hope for the best.

Please reply.

Thanks,

sg in Winnipeg

ps. I hope the copy of the letter I'm responding to is a re-type or draft copy.  I say this as constructive criticizm, since I know how important it is to have precision in your business letters.

ps. I wanted to enlarge the font on the entire response, but couldn't see how to do that.

disabled no longer! View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disabled no longer! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2003 at 8:56am
Funny how things work out... I did all this work and began challenging the system...

Then this past spring I found out I had improperly treated Lyme disease... got that treated and I no longer have the chronic fatigue... of course I wrote to HRDC and told them and withdrew my application...

So I'm stuck with the loans, but have my health back and this site exists... and I know in the long run things will work out....

Mark
wcreeves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wcreeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2004 at 10:20am

Hi, I am new to this site.  I am very upset.  I got out of school decided to work for a year, then I went back to school for 2 years along with upgrades for computerized office administration, and needless to say I can't make a decent salary.  I wanted to change my career due to my lack of holding a job, and lack of interest in the career of my choosing... why because I work hard with no amount of BUILDING A NEST EGG TO SECURE MY RETIREMENT... (ok i am being negative).... (i am a tad frustrated)...accept to survive without a car and without being able to support my very own self in the career I have chosen.  BUT, because I can't support myself without scrounging and working and surviving pay cheque to pay cheque... I was laid off work and haven't been working for over a year, unable to pay for my student loan was told by the bank that i cannot apply for interest relief because I have had interest relief in the past so needless to say they are demanding a payment in full for my student loans which of course I can't pay for gas to find a job...

All I want to do is change  my career.  Now my student loan is in collections so FORGET GETTING AN EDUCATION TO SURVIVE!!!! DO WE HAVE TO BE RICH TO GO TO SCHOOL......

LOOKS LIKE IT.  life is hopeless and I am sad that I have no future.  The jobs I can get pay me less than 21,000 a year and if i am lucky I might achieve 25,000 a year....I am so disgusted by our government with regard to our educational system that there is no hope for adult woman nor men to change a career if  THERE IS NO WORK.... THAT FINDING A JOB AND SAVING A NEST is an impossibility in the field due to old people still working and not moving over to let us younger middle aged workers MOVE UP SOME KIND OF LADDER without dropping my pants.  I have been constantly harrassed by the collections agency ... no they can't take blood out of a stone.. and so I will be selling my soul for the company for 9 to 11.00 dollars per hour yippeeeeeeeee 

I am so angry...... If I would know what I know now I should've become a dentist so that student loan repayments could have been repayed and out of my hair.... but stupid me i chose administration and didn't realize I WASN'T VERY GOOD IN MATH but good with people.  SIGH  Thank you so very much for being here so I could vent my frustrations.... I hope I haven't offended anyone. 

Christine
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2004 at 10:24am

Wcreeves,

Your frustrationis very visible. I can help you but youwill have to be the one to come forward because it is a service. Your situationis not hopeless. Consult with me if you so choose.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply