Subscriber Action:

I personally recommend CFWGroup.
- Mark O'Meara, Canadastudentdebt.ca
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Metropolitan Credit Adjusters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lauren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metropolitan Credit Adjusters?
    Posted: 20/December/2006 at 5:08am

Hello all,

I've seen lots and lots of posts on here with people having similar problems and I have a couple of questions.

First, this is my story: I received my last student loan funding in January 2000 and finished my courses in June 2000 with CIBC Student loans, both federal and provincial.  I was on an exchange program abroad and haven't returned back to Canada.  I regret to say that I haven't paid any of my loans back - primarily because of the cost of living where i am and I just can't afford to.  It costs more to wire the money across then the amount that I could actually have afforded to pay. 

Recently, I had a baby and am now not working because I am a stay home Mom and therefore, have no income - We're living on my partners trainee salary and benefits and just getting by.

I've had an email from Metropolitan Credit Adjusters?  Anyone know who they are?  They sent me an email and said call them because they can't disclose any details over email.  That sounds suspicious to me.  What does that mean? I can only assume that it has to do with my loans, which I still can't afford to pay back.  I would love to pay them back but I can't afford it, especially now that I am staying home with my daughter.

Can I be deported back to Canada if I have to go to Court?  How does that work?  I've read someone who reassured someone else that you can't go to prison.  Is that true?  Will I ever be able to visit Canada again.  My mother once said to me that people got arrested for their student loans at the airport when coming back into the country.  Is all this over-reacting?  Urban myths are killing me.  It makes me sick with fear and anxiety.    Before my daughter was born, I contemplated the worse possible way out because of my growing fear.  I've been burying my head in the sand and I need some reassurance that I am not going to hell or prison or that my family may never meet my daughter.

I don't want to skirt my responsibilites but I genuinely can't afford to pay anything yet.  We're not a well off family; I never made use of my degree and would sell it back in a heart beat.

Can anyone please explain what Metropolitan Credit Adjusters are and what they want.  I don't want to call because my fear is growing irrationally.  Please help me someone.  I need some advice as to how this works.

Lauren  

Sponsored Links

Johnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2006 at 7:37pm
Metropolitan Credit Adjusters is a collection agency. They have offices all over Canada. They do recovery work for CIBC student loans.

You won;t be deported because of a student loan.

If you would like help, please contact me and I will assist you. You wil be required to become a client though. Otherwise, best of luck - and have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Johnny
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group (CFWG)

www.cfwgroup.ca
geecko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2012 at 12:32pm
Do not deal with Metropolitan Credit Adjustors. Angry They contacted me just recently and told me I had such-and-such amount owing on my Alberta Student Loan, and if I didn't pay that day, legal action would be taken. I have already paid off my Alberta Student Loan. I told them all this, and they wouldn't take no for an answer. The woman I was dealing with continued to press me for my birth date. I wouldn't give it to her, or any other information for that matter, and I told her that I had not received any notices in the mail or any indication that I still owed anything, she told me she couldn't send out anything unless she had my DOB. I told her I had a letter of confirmation stating that the loan balance was zero, but she didn't even respond to that other than to tell me I had to give her my DOB.

I have since contacted the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (phonebusters.com) and gave them all the information I had (I had a full name, contact number and extension for the person I spoke to from MCA).

If I were you, I would get in touch with the CRA and Edulinx - or whomever you have the loan with - to set up payment arrangements. I still have a Federal Student loan, and am paying that off slowly. I, too, am having trouble making payments, but the CRA has been very helpful about it. I stay in touch with them and make new payment arrangements as circumstances allow.
-Geecko
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic