This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormer CollectCorp Employee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PhiLLy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiLLy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Former CollectCorp Employee
    Posted: 15/August/2005 at 5:14am

I was an employee of CollectCorp from March-May on the Canadian Dialler, so most likely if you we're in collections during those periods I contacted you, or a relative of yours...or left you a message..ect ect

I left the company due to personal issues, and because of my feelings about company practices ( I can't go into details publicly because of a whole bunch of paperwork they made me sign ) .

I admitt I said and did some things I wasn't totally proud of myself for saying and doing and would like to rectify that by providing help to anyone that is struggling with CollectCorp or any other agency I can provide you with tips ect on how to best deal with the situation , I can also recite all laws and Legal calling times.

P.S. on a side note to Johnny , everyone on here seems to regard you highly, where could I put my knowledge to a use in a profession that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Need Help?
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2005 at 12:44pm

Hi Philly,

Collectcorp likely made you sign off on a no-competition and disclosure order. Typical behavior of their organization. They do have to protect their best interests, however.

Let's talk. Call me sometime if you would like so we can chat.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Blue_Thunder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue_Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2005 at 3:04pm

Hey Johnny and Philly ....

What is there, despite all of those forms they made you fill out when hired by Collect Corp, stopping you from being a WHISTLE BLOWER?

Aren't there laws in our country, or in the makings right now, that protect whistle blowers from reprisals from the companies they work for?

That is what we need in this country is a whistle blower on this entire collection agency industry.

I can tell Philly you are someone who has a conscience unlike some of your former co-workers and worse yet your former supervisors who act like a bunch of cut-throats on the phone with people like me. I just don't know how anyone could have the personality to do that kind of work. It also seems to me that the drive to get the commissions and the pressure to meet quota drives agents crazy and often results in the aggressive behavior.

I once worked as a telemarketer and I got sick of badgering people at the most inopportune times like when people are home from work getting dinner and spending time with their kids. In many respects, but of course some people I called up were pure morons, those people had every right to make me go deaf on the phone. LOL

Anyhow, I would look into what laws exist in Canada that protect whistle blowers as like I just said we need people like yourself to be whistle blowers. I think you are a good candidate for that as I can tell that job sickened you enormously and you have a wealth of information that could give us honest and unfortunate debtors an advantage of how to deal with collection agencies like Collect Corp and if I am not mistaken, these guys are contracted by the Federal government to get back money owing on Guaranteed Student Loans.

Even if the paperwork is no-competition and disclosure order, I still can't see that stopping you from being a whistle blower. What kind of action can Collect Corp do to you? Sue you for so-called defamatory remarks? I don't think that a company like this should be allowed to exercise that kind of power to protect themselves.

On a footnote here, I am presently dealing with Collect Corp for Guaranteed Federal Student Loans and recently I successfully appealed the set-off applied to my GST/HST Credits but it is still on my Income Tax Returns. I have not gotten a call from these guys in a while now but keep getting their monthly statements. LOL

The greater access to higher education, as a result of student loans, has flooded the job market. Therefore, supply exceeds demand. Thus our credentials are not as valuable as, say, 30 years ago.
e_bola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e_bola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2005 at 4:43pm

You know, PhiLLy, that if what you have to say constitutes the reporting of a breach of the law on the part of your former employer, a non-disclosure agreement is unenforceable?

That is, if you are aware of laws being broken, they cannot contract you to remain silent; in fact, failing to report a criminal act is considered to be complicity in it.

You could, and should, report any knowledge of acts that are against the law.

Or maybe you could get a job using what you've learned.

PhiLLy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiLLy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2005 at 6:38pm

See most of the "practices" I have witnessed, would be very partial.. I will discuss things more with Johnny If I can get ahold of him Via Telephone and update you guys if indeed I can say it worry free so to speak.

Blue Note I probably didn't receive your file due to the Dialler only dealing with files that we're rejected by other desks and old. If I did call you I'm sorry , however...I did realize collections isn't for me , especially when speaking to other newly reqruited Collectors and finding out CollectCorp is actually one of the "Better" for lack of a better term..companies...collections in general makes me sick because 90/100 people would pay the bill if they had the cash but circumstances have prevented that from happening...and more or less you are told to do whatever it takes to get them to pay. The people that skip out on their bills...are people that move, run from the problem... the ones the CAs cant even find a number for..those are the people that won't pay...

I've seen some people do some horrible things to themselves to get creditors off their backs....And I want to say I couldn't sleep at night...but at first I was ok just coasting along...and I was sucked in by a world where I wore a suit everyday to work...made 800 bucks take home every 2 weeks at least and had people congratulating me all the time...But it does wear off...and when it wears off You..Well... I should say ME... Realized that there's real people on the other end of those phones....When someone takes on a 3rd mortage on their home to pay off a 1500 dollar debt to a collections agency and then wind up unable to pay anything else , losing their home..car.or whatever..like simply having 2 things now in collections instead of 1...or borrowing money from a relative who can't afford to lend the money and now you've got 2 people in a downward slump...no collector gives a sh*t...not even myself in that moment...when they are pretending to be your friend and offer you advice to "get out of collections for your best interest" thats a line every collector is taught to say...from day f**king 1 excuse my french... No one at any collection agency wants to help you..They want the bill paid...NOW because a bill you pay today counts towards their quota ..and Why do they care if your credit is screwed forever... your family cuts you off... other things go into collections ( more for them to collect from you ).

Best Advice I can offer any of you...If you really do have the intentions of paying, get in touch with someone that can help you better balance the money you do have...and work on getting things paid off 1 at a time...Credit card comapnys...Banks..ect..they want you to just be paying interest...hell...if the balance on your credit card is 500 dollars the rest of your life..Visa will be thrilled...you ask yourself..Why? why woul visa want me owing them that balance my whole life..just paying the interest...why wouldn't they want me to pay them back?

Simple

If you owe visa 500 dollars and pay just the interest off....at what the rates are now..lets say 19% Per Annum

you'll be Giving them...95 dollars a year....free...for the rest of your life...and that's just a tiny balance..say you're a real Debtor...and you owe... 8500 on your visa you'd be paying them 1615 dollars a year...interest...for the rest of your life...and thats nothing off the priciple...when you die..your estate will still owe the remaining 8500..so you'll have given visa 1600 dollars a year for 30-40 years...then paid them back the original debt as well...

As for whistle Blowing, not sure I'm the right candidate for that either...But we'll see how it goes... most practices in Collection Agencys in general are very boarderline...and the legality of the situations is based on perception...I think I may have said to much already....but speaking the truth and informing people of their rights is something that more people like johnny should be doing...hopefully one day I can work for him and help some of you two.

Need Help?
PhiLLy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiLLy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2005 at 6:44pm

Also... on a side note,

"Cease and Desist Order"

If written, in writing to a collection agency....that you wish no further contact with them Via phone, Email ( not allowed legally because of the privacy act ) , Letters or any other form...and faxed to the attention of anyone there but preferably a supervisor...They may not contact you any further save but 1 contact to inform you that they will not be contacting you any more but that the debt remains and you are still liable for it.

However I strongly recommend not resorting to this unless there is a real abuse of power and situation of harassment because when they say the debt is still there, they mean that, it will gain intrest acruing daily at whatever rate the bank or government has set on the account and when you do wish to pay, they will be far less co-operative then they already are to payment plans, options ect.

Need Help?
PhiLLy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiLLy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2005 at 2:34am
Originally posted by PhiLLy PhiLLy wrote:

Also... on a side note,

"Cease and Desist Order"

If written, in writing to a collection agency....that you wish no further contact with them Via phone, Email ( not allowed legally because of the privacy act ) , Letters or any other form...and faxed to the attention of anyone there but preferably a supervisor...They may not contact you any further save but 1 contact to inform you that they will not be contacting you any more but that the debt remains and you are still liable for it.

However I strongly recommend not resorting to this unless there is a real abuse of power and situation of harassment because when they say the debt is still there, they mean that, it will gain intrest acruing daily at whatever rate the bank or government has set on the account and when you do wish to pay, they will be far less co-operative then they already are to payment plans, options ect.

No one has posted in here for awhile?

anyone still interested?

Need Help?
toomuchbills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchbills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2005 at 3:28am

Hey Philly,

I am dealing with Collect Corp right now and I owe them $2200 for a TD Ban Overdraft gone bad. Ive offered everything and the guy on the refuses to take any payment.  He has stated that he cant take any payment plan and demands full amount he offered me a settlement of $1900 I said give me a month and I will get you the cash he said no I have to pay upfront so I said all I can afford is $100 every two weeks.

He even refused that. Now he said I must call him 2morrow before 12 after he speaks to his manager then he will let me know if he can accept a payment. The thing that confuses me is I went to TD bank about the matter and they said the collect corp is supposed to accept the payment plans that I can afford and their not suppose to turn down payment.

Any Advice would be great.

Thanks.

hairtearer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairtearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2005 at 9:19pm

I wish I'd read your posts earlier today.  I'd have saved myself a lot of emotional angst on the phone with a guy who clearly didn't give a rat's about my critical states of finances, health or emotional trauma.

(Disabled now 11 years, been bankrupt, been jumping through hoops for medical discharge for over a year, and only NOW got the nastiest guy in the pile... I guess I've been lucky.)

I think, as well as just not answering his future phone calls, I'll tell my roommates to say I'm in the psych ward if they accidentally answer.

ex_collector2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ex_collector2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 12:30pm
Hello everyone,

I too was a collectcorp employee. I worked in the amex accounts department. I just want to say that it is the worst place i have ever worked and they treat their employees like crap. I worked there for just over 4 years at $11.00 an hour without one raise! With only one review after my 6 months. The moral is always down and supervisors speak to the reps as if they are children. They even make senior reps do supervisor jobs but refuse to pay more or call it a promotion and reps do it for fear of being fired.

I know that it is not an excuse for the reps/collectors bad attitudes but the stress of the job and the  mistreatment comes out on the phones. I cannot speak for the 3rd party department but i will say this....if we (1st part collectors) were stressed to the point of mental break downs and depression, i can only imagine how the 3rd party guys were feeling.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 1:41pm

American or Canadian portfolio?

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
OrlosGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrlosGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 2:32pm
I would also advise against this.  That is what intiated legal proceeding against me and now I have to go to court.

It is only necessary to send them a letter to contact you in writing ONLY.  A cease and desist is a legal issue.

Under the law they are allowed to contact you one more time to tell you that your account has been forwarded for legal action, and as I have found out, it's impossible to stop it once it's started no matter what you do.  Collection agencies will go as far as outright lying to convince the original client "it was in the companies best interest".

Please learn from my mistake.
Trying to do everything He tells me. (John 2:5)
ex_collector2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ex_collector2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2008 at 4:46am
I worked the american accounts only, we didn't have canadian accounts at this location for amex in 1st party.
Butterfly123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2011 at 2:45am
Philly,
I just dealt with one of Collect Copr's employees...and I have to admit, I cried.  (I didnt let HER know I cried though!)  I dont know if you guys are trained to make people cry or if this was just a knack this woman had, but it worked.  She was actually yelling at me so loudly, I had to hold the phone away from my ear.  VERY unprofessional.  I tried to ask some questions, and she twisted my words around into it sounding like I was WELCOMING legal action, and that it was what I wanted! 
I actually DO want to pay back the debt I owe, but as you said in another post, you realize with some people that things are tight, and it limits how much I'm able to pay back at this time.  If I COULDVE, I wouldve paid it back before it got to this stage. 
I dont know if you have any advice on how to deal with her, as she's given me the weekend to come up with a payment plan, but ANY tips would be welcome!!  I cannot believe they get away with treating people the way they do! 
Good for you...helping people deal with these inhuman monsters.
Please help.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2011 at 2:15am

What type of account is it? Collectors are known for this behavior. If she is threatening legala ction that is against the rules. Threatening legal action to entice payment is a bad move on their part. They can only tell you that they will recommend to their client that they proceed on the basis that you are refusing to pay. If youa re not refusing to pay then you are alright. If you cannot make a payment due to hardship with extenuating circumstances then you have that protectionb if demonstrated properly. If you need help with this let me know.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Mini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2011 at 8:55am
Hi Johnny,

I hope you can help me out.  I had made a deal with one of the collectors and I let him know that Yes i would be able to pay only IF the cheques owe to me did not bounce, then I would go to the bank and deposit the $$$ to the acc # they provided me with.

One of the cheques I had deposited in my account bounced so I just have half the funds, I called back to let them know and the agent that got my call put me on hold and some woman from a "lawyers" office came on.

She told me that if I didn't pay today the deal they had made was void, I said that I understood BUT that i was trying to pay back I was not trying to get out of giving them what I owe. She told me she didn't care that is not her problem and that they will use any means necessery to collect. I said that would they rather not get half right now and the other half at month's end she said that i was nobody and not to give her ultimatum's; I laughed and she told me I was an idiot ofr laughing so I said "Ok goodbye" and hanged up.

Can she really come after me so soon? Can I go into a bank and deposit half the money so they see I do want to pay? Im worried that they are going to show up at my work place.

Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

What type of account is it? Collectors are known for this behavior. If she is threatening legala ction that is against the rules. Threatening legal action to entice payment is a bad move on their part. They can only tell you that they will recommend to their client that they proceed on the basis that you are refusing to pay. If youa re not refusing to pay then you are alright. If you cannot make a payment due to hardship with extenuating circumstances then you have that protectionb if demonstrated properly. If you need help with this let me know.

Johnny
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2011 at 12:15pm
Make the payment with what you have. They can't refuse it. What they think is irrelevent. They are bullying you based on what you described. Your intentions and bahevior is good.  It is theirs that is questionable.

Just make sure you document everything you do and keep track of things. If you want, you can schedule an appointment with me after you make the payment and we will have a conference call with this collector who called you an idiot. I can record it and then address it with the party who you owe the money to if they get nasty or behave unprofessionally.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
SunnyCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunnyCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2011 at 10:53am
Hi Johnny,

I am about to start dealing with Collect Corp. for the first time (they have just started calling my work and leaving messages).  They have called several times to my work now and I can't have them do that.  I know they are calling regarding my AMEX account.

After reading the nightmare stories about Collect Corp. online, can you give me some advice on how to deal with them.

I plan on having the reps consent to me recording every phone conversation or else I will not speak with them-this will only be fair to me and hopefully "soften the blows" on their part.  I will not be giving them any bank account numbers and I will expect to receive any offers in writing from them regarding settlements.

I just want to mentally prepare for the fight so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all your help with this.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2011 at 11:14am

Just don't be the bully. You don't want them making life for you any more difficult. Recpording the call is a good idea. I have done extensive work with this and also the law says you don't have to tell them you are recording it. 

Amex is one of their higher profiled clients and they always want to impress Amex by collecting loads of accounts to gain larger market share of their business. Just be real and deal witht hem professionally. if they become unprofessional at any time then you will have evidence of that.

You don't need to give them bank account information. it is not something that they are entitled to.

solvestudentdebt.com
SunnyCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunnyCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2011 at 11:26am
Thank you for the quick reply!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>