This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStudent Loan pardons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
onekaliluv View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onekaliluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Student Loan pardons
    Posted: 19/September/2003 at 10:09am
Does anyone know a site where i can get information on getting a full pardon or any kind of relief for my student loan??
I had nothing but problems with the school i attended, and it ultimately led to the discontinuation of my course due to circumstances beyond my control. I now have a $23,000 loan I have to pay back, can't find a job in the crap city I live in, and now they are threatening me with litigation. I dont know any other options but to try and get a pardon so i can get on with my life. I am on income assistance and have been so for the past 4 years. I was told by my social worker that collectors arent even supposed to contact me in the event that i am on income assistance. Does anyone know if this is true or not?? ANY info would be a massive help!
Sponsored Links

chuckles View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2003 at 9:29pm
There is no such thing as a "pardon" for student loans. Basically, when you eventually do find a job the collection agents will be at your door trying to collect. Hopefully you gained some marketable skills from that $23000 while you were in school.

Think about this like a loan you took out to buy a car. If you can't make the payments they won't "pardon" you, they will just take back the car. However, when you can't pay back your student loan they can't take back your brains so they will wait years and years until you get a job and there they'll be.

I wouldn't worry about the collection agency while you are on welfare. Your cheque cannot be garnisheed by them and a judgement is worthless.

Relax, kick up your feet. These are the best years of your life!
markomeara View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Site Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markomeara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2003 at 7:20am
To my knowledge there is nothing in any regulations that forbid a collection agency from contacting you if you are on social assistance.

basically your situation seems similar to mine. I went to Ubc to do the masters in counselling psych. The program description said the course length was a minimum of two years (sept-april) Of course after I borrowed 15 grand to self publish my book I found out I was doing a third year as nobody completed it in the advertised time frame. I was SOL and now bankrupt because my plans to market my book when I graduated were ruined as I was stuck in school. If I had gone to a private school, legislation would have protected me but since UBC is a public institution I was on my own. Legal estimates to sue UBC ran around $60,000 not including any appeal. Well, after I filed a complaint the program description was changed to ....students who need to complete their degree in 24-26 months must start in July and be enrolled throughout the whole period!

So if you went to a private school check your provincial legislation that was in effect when you went to school.

Mark

PS: it all works out in the end... if the above hadnt happened I wouldnt have been motivated to start this site! :)
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onekaliluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2003 at 11:46am
Thank you all for your posts and help. MARK- i did go to private school..it was a hair dressing school that is privately owned here in the city. Does that help my chances of getting any kind of help on this issue or am I &*@$%#??
help_is_here View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2003 at 5:45am
Mark is correct. There are no provisions that can halt collection agents from trying to collect a debt from someone receiving SA benefits. Not even a letter from the organization will stop them, unfortunately.

Eventually, the collectors will stop calling you daily. They will start calling you once every two weeks just to check up on you.. maybe throw a few insulting words your way due to the fact that you aren't paying. This is common. Collector's don;t like calling people who are on the benefit system because there is no commission in it for them. Instead, they call only because they have to. In doing so, they tend to be more rude or aggressive because they know that you cannot pay. Sad truth. Welcome to the world of collections.

There is a way to halt the collection activity. Ask Mark if it ok to consult with me. I will do it for you at no cost.

Johnny

cfwgroup@tekcity.net
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2003 at 4:46am
Regarding private schools, in BC there is the private post secondary education council. What province are you in? I can do a search on regulation of private schools.

Mark
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onekaliluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2003 at 10:57am
Help_is_here: Any info you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Administrator: i am in B.C., Canada

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2003 at 11:37am

I can help you but it is difficult to do so on line. There must be verbal communication in order for me to provide a remedy. I need to know all the hard facts. In some caes, people can recieve assistance from me without even speaking to me other than e mail. In your case, it will require a conversation or two.

Johnny
cfwgroup@tekcity.net
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onekaliluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2003 at 1:27pm
Johnny (help_is_here)

If you could email me with a private email address, i actually have a letter prepared that explains everything that happened with this school that made it impossible for me to complete my training. I could send it to you so you can get a FULL idea of what happened. My email address is onekaliluv@hotmail.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2003 at 2:17pm

cfwgroup@tekcity.net
cfwgroup@tekcity.net
lasergirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2003 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by onekaliluv onekaliluv wrote:

Does anyone know a site where i can get information on getting a full pardon or any kind of relief for my student loan??
I had nothing but problems with the school i attended, and it ultimately led to the discontinuation of my course due to circumstances beyond my control. I now have a $23,000 loan I have to pay back, can't find a job in the crap city I live in, and now they are threatening me with litigation. I dont know any other options but to try and get a pardon so i can get on with my life. I am on income assistance and have been so for the past 4 years. I was told by my social worker that collectors arent even supposed to contact me in the event that i am on income assistance. Does anyone know if this is true or not?? ANY info would be a massive help!
lasergirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2003 at 4:47pm
As far as I know the only people that get 'loans'/breaks from the gov't and don't have to pay anything back are those that donate huge amounts of $$ to political parties. Air Canada goes bust and it costs millions but hey let's pick on students because it's easier to intimidate them than it is to intimidate big business (which probably tells the gov't what to do anyway!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2003 at 2:10am

In light of a political view, that is a good point. Air Canada is a big part of the economy. Students are disposable.

Well, youth is our future. One day the governement will have to realize this and say to themselves.."maybe we shoulf focus on salvaging our economy by nurturing it."

Johnny
cfwgroup@tekcity.net
mary m View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mary m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2003 at 4:10pm
can someone help me out there. I owe cibc for my stupid student loan. I have been out of school for 3 years now and its been in rears since then. They want me to pay it all back in full. I don;t have the money to pay them back in full. I can pay something small everymonth but they don't want to except that. My credit is ruined what can I do. Some one please help me. I'm going crazy. help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2003 at 4:25pm

Hello Mary M,

If you owe a CIBC student loan, and are able to repay monthly, you should do so. If you can;t pay the full amount, don;t sweat it. You will encounter some resistance from the collector once you offer a payment arrangement. They don;t maker any "real" commission from small token payments, you see.

If you do not wish to call them, or speak to them... write them a letter. Attach post dated cheques to it, with a financial summary of your situation. Also write in the lettert that in the event that they wish to communicate with you , it should be conducted by mail. Advise them also that you will contact them at such time when your situation changes.

This will benefit you. If yuou don;t feel confident enough to do this, consult with me and I will do this for you. It won't cost you anything... except for the fax, telephone, stationary (hard costs).

Johnny
cfwgroup@tekcity.net
Pixxa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2003 at 6:34am
Well gang.. I'm not politically minded, but I was recently told by a co-worker that's an active Liberal suppporter that Paul Martin's been heard voicing concern over student debt and the situation many grads are in regarding defaulted loans.. My understanding is that he believes we should not be facing situations like bankruptcy after working to further our education. We are the kind of citizens that support the economy and shouldn't be facing situations that deter us from doing so. She has encouraged me to write directly to him about my SL situation and I'm currently doing just that.

Pixxa
Somtimes I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe. anonymous
lasergirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2003 at 6:40am
Hi Pixxa! That is good news. However, I think it was Paul Martin that was (partially) responsible for ramming the 1998 budget through the Commons that prohibits students from having their loans discharged by bankruptcy for 10 years after leaving school . LOL lasergirl p.s. I think I will write him as well and voice my concerns. Can you post his contact information?
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2003 at 7:18am
LOL, exactly, Lasergirl!

Paul Martin believes students should be facing bankruptcy...That's why he ensured that you WOULDN'T by ramming the 10-year law through!!

Should we all write Paul Martin and thank him for caring?

Maybe bankruptcy isn't always the answer, but it's I choice I would like to make...Not have made FOR me...

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2003 at 7:29am
I've been to paul martins website and submitted a "question for paul" regarding the problems with student loans...

Here is his response:

End of response

No body responded. So I wrote a gain... no response, so I wrote again, no response...

Hmmm a true liberal!
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2003 at 8:08am
And people ask me "Why is it that you do not vote?"
And I ask myself, Why bother..what is gained by me voting.

If you ask me these politicians are the same as bill collectors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>