Subscriber Action:

I personally recommend CFWGroup.
- Mark O'Meara, Canadastudentdebt.ca
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRICURA CANADA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRICURA CANADA
    Posted: 11/February/2005 at 10:10am
What is the deal with these people? How are they affiliated with the NSLC? Those guys admit to being affiliated with them in some way. But I find no evidence of this on any government web sites. These Tricura people have my mom all worried. My loans are coming due soon; they told her that I was "having trouble paying" my loans and that they wanted to help.

If these people are affiliated with NSLC, NSLC needs to give its head a shake and stop helping someone screw us. I guess that the banks might be behind it. Bat rastards.

Anyone have any more info on Tricura they can give me? PLEASE DO.
Sponsored Links

eshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2005 at 10:32am

Tricura, according to my information, is a part of the NSLSC contracted out by Edulinx (the company contracted by the government to administer student loans).  I believe once you fall behind 3 months in payments, it goes to Tricura. 

Edulinx was formed and once owned by CIBC. 

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

-Jean Chrťtien
lugarou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lugarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2005 at 10:41am
For me, when I phone the NSLSC to get information or make sure they are screwing me around (which they invariably do) the little voicemail circle dance takes me to some centre where it states on the message that it's run by Tricura. I figured they were outsourced labour for the NSLSC. Maybe they are many things.
Blue. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2005 at 10:52am
That's who I always dealt with when I called the 1-800 numbers on all of my NSLC paperwork. Given the info on this site, I thought they were some part of Edulinx. Tricura doesn't want to "help" you. if they wanted to "help" anyone, they'd be doing a better job of administering the process, rather than sending you to collections without a by-your-leave.
What you are obsessing about is a debt. It's a loan. It's business. It's money. It contains no moral baggage. You are a decent, kind, loving and moral human being.
--Islander
lugarou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lugarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2005 at 11:00am
If they both administrate the paperwork and do the collections wouldn't there be a conflict of interest there?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2005 at 9:42pm
When I phoned the 800 number on my forms, I got the impression I was no longer speaking to Tricura.  That said, I had to enter my SIN before I was routed. Perhaps if you are three months behind, they filter your call to Tricura, where they can hard-sell you false help. If that were so, I got the main office because my loans have not yet come due.

My question is this: is Tricura a debt consolidation firm or a collections agency? Their agents hide behind veiled terms when pressed for the exact nature of the relationship between their firm and the NSLSC. I doubt the phone monkeys know. Tricura seems to have an information-sharing agreement with the NSLSC at the very least (I would know for sure if they had used my SIN to look up my file, lending another veneer of illusory legitimacy to their call). They are partners at the very least.

Try Google. My search--site:canlearn.ca tricura--did not match any documents. So the NSLSC is really promoting this partnership quietly. Smells like we drove past a roadkill skunk.

My guess is that Tricura is called TRI-CURA because it's a three-way cure for the blues:

The GOVERNMENT gets its loan money back, balancing the books.

GOVERNMENT =

The BANKS get their loan money back, giving orgasms to their shareholders.

BANKS =

TRICURA, a private corporation, which I assume both consolidates debt and does collections =

I just got off the phone with one of their dandy headset jockeys.  From what I could wring out of her, Tricura handles debt. She avoided answering yes or no to the following questions:

"Do you undertake collections?"

"Are you a debt consolidation firm?"

By the end, poor girl, she was speaking over me, or trying to. I would not let her. I insisted she listen to my question in full and answer my previous yes-no questions with either a yes or a no.

She hung up on me.
nectarinee06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nectarinee06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 8:22pm

I almost went insane today trying to deal with Tricura----so I was quite relieved to find this website to see that I'm not the only one who has been subjected to their ridiculous dead end, circular arguments.  Below is a letter that I sent to the management at Tricura but by the sounds of it I suppose it will just be tossed into the mountain high pile of complaints they're already dealing with.  I don't have the same sympathy for the workers at Tricura as some people may have---everyone needs to earn a living but there are far less corrupt ways of doing so.  As far as I can tell such workers have been specifically trained in how to be confrontational without crossing the line, how to engage in circular arguments, stonewalling, stalling, and being deliberately vague and deceptive. -----Anyway I've copied the letter below & I'm sure many of you will be able to relate to it.

Today I was contacted by your national student loan department and was told that my account is in arrears.  I explained that I had previously arranged for automatic debit through your agency to cover arrears from Dec & Jan and to continue with automatic debit on an on-going basis from that point on.  I explained that I had done so (on Jan 31/05) by faxing a letter stating the above as instructed (word for word) by one of your representatives (I have sufficient funds in the bank to cover the debit so that isn't the issue).

However, the representative who phoned me today could not understand the above.  When I suggested that he look at the letter he said he didn't have it but someone else in another department did.  I asked him to contact that person but he said he couldn't.  I asked if I could contact the person and he said no.  I asked to speak to the manager but he said that wasn't possible.  I then asked to speak to the person who originally instructed me to send the letter and he refused to provide me with a name.  Instead he insisted on trying to slowly repeat in a patronizing fashion his misunderstanding of the situation.  

So I hung up and called back and again spoke to another representative who at least said that she would put my call through to the manager.  She then said that the manager was busy and would not be able to contact me for 24 to 72 hrs?!!!!! She would not give me a contact number nor would she provide with any information about any other contacts.  So I tried to find this information out for myself by phoning 411 but found that Tricura is not listed anywhere (sounds like a good investigative newspaper article). 

So I called your agency again to find out your fax number so that I could fax a letter to the manager.  The representative told me "no... the manager has to review the file and then if he thinks it's necessary he will get back to you".  I insisted that there must at least be a fax number that I could use to send a letter to the manager but he said "no" there wasn't.  When I asked if there was an outside agency that I could complain to he was not happy with my request and couldn't provide an immediate response but finally told me to call "O Canada"????.  When I asked if he thought it was odd that clients have absolutely no recourse when they have a problem dealing with his agency he said "no this is the way we've always done it".  If your staff don't understand what is wrong with the above statement and how it might frustrate some thinking people then I 'm not going to waste my breath explaining it here.

The letter that I faxed on Jan 31/05 is enclosed as is a second letter spelling out again as clearly as I possibly can the fact that I want you to debit my account for all arrears and to continue debiting my account until my loan is paid or I state otherwise.

I would still like to make a complaint about your agency and in order to do so I would appreciate it if you would provide me with a contact number/address of the chief person in your agency as well as the government agency monitoring your service. You may contact me at ------------- (please leave a message if I'm not in) or email me at-----------------..  If you are unable to provide such information than I would appreciate a short email note to that effect so I can follow-up as necessary. 

---Since sending the above letter I did try again to contact a manager at Tricura via the 'real' national student loan agency ---I didn't punch in my SIN when I called NSL (otherwise they send you directly to Tricura).  I then went to 'alternative means of payment' & got through to a 'real' NSL representative who arranged for me to speak to the manager at Tricura.  He assured me that the above problem has been sorted out but I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm also interested to see if they'll actually send me a contact where I can make a complaint.  -------Thanks for providing a forum to vent on this very frustrating matter.   

nectarinee06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nectarinee06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 8:33pm
Note: regarding the above post ---the reason my account was in arrears in the first place is because for some reason the cheques that I sent didn't go through???? (Tricura has on record that the cheques were received but weren't processed????---although I've never received any notice from my bank-----note there were funds in my account to cover my cheques & I've never received any NSF returned cheques????
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2005 at 2:25am
Originally posted by nectarinee06 nectarinee06 wrote:

---Since sending the above letter I did try again to contact a manager at Tricura via the 'real' national student loan agency ---I didn't punch in my SIN when I called NSL (otherwise they send you directly to Tricura).  I then went to 'alternative means of payment' & got through to a 'real' NSL representative who arranged for me to speak to the manager at Tricura.   

That's a handy hint! I just thought I'd highlight it for the others trying to avoid Tricura Twilight Zone...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2005 at 8:55am

Nectarinee06,

I guess Tricura can't take responsibility like anyone else it seems!  It seems like it is always the student's fault....even when you have taken the steps to appropriately deal with the matter.....if something goes wrong it's not the "process" that is wrong...no, never is....give me a break...One of these days this whole crappy process will change....hopefully...

chewsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chewsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2005 at 6:31pm
http://client.njoyn.com/EDULINX/xweb/XWeb.asp?tbtoken=ZVpRRR tYRm04ZAZ0TSQlYCdUdmEqLiUuQC4kXkxYdlJXTlEODBFFKjIZKDYfdRZxdU 0gGQ%3D%3D&chk=dFlbQBJY&Page=JobDetails&Jobid=J0 205-0516

"The Customer Contact and Tricura Operations division is also referred to EDULINX Inbound and Outbound Call Centres. The Customer Contact Centre is responsible for handling inbound calls from students who have questions or concerns about their student loan. Whereas, Tricura Operations support student loan borrowers who are experiencing challenges meeting the repayment terms of their loan. Tricura customer service representatives, work closely with these borrowers to educate and counsel them on alternative repayment options, and takes pride in helping students effectively manage the financing of their education."

http://www.tricura.com/

These are the biggest group of tools I've ever had the displeasure to talk to.  They simply can't get anything right.  And everyone there has a different idea of what they want you to do.  The best part is that the people you talk to aren't actually in front of your paperwork.  No, the people who actually review everything are elsewhere - and can I talk to them?  You guessed it....
quantummechanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantummechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2005 at 5:30pm
Wow! This makes me feel a lot better. Not that Iím happy you all are going through the same $h!t I am, but itís nice to know that Iím not totally crazy. My story is basically the same as nectarinee06, Iíve authorized my payments to be debited from my account and no payments have been withdrawn despite the fact that the money is there.

But more importantly here is why Iím glad to see Iím not alone, we have power in numbers and if you all are willing to help Iíd like to take our problem to the news media. The fact that a government loan is being handled so poorly by a contracted agency and that there is no recourse for those of us who are trying to make our payments honestly is a genuine news story. Combine that with the potential of a class action lawsuit to cover any extra interest payments, administrative fees to cover late payments due to company fault, and possible damage to personal credit give us power to force Tricura to deal with us honestly and swiftly.

Every time I speak to this company I get a different story, this reads like a classic scam and Iím willing to raise a stink to make a change. I have been working in film and television for over a decade and am confident that I can get someone from at least one major network to look into this. But not if Iím alone, if Iím the only one who will speak up there is no story and no one will help.

Please take the time to write down, in the best detail you can manage, a full account of your dealings with Tricura. If you call their phone center have a pen and paper handy and take note of the date and time of your call, the name of the person you spoke with, how long you were on the phone and any notes that seem pertinent. If we are organized and detailed we have a better ability to be taken seriously.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me at zeb.pike@gmail.com.
I am very serious about this and want desperately to be free of this horribly irresponsible company, and if we stand together we all can be.

Thanks

Zebulon Pike 
mixoliliene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixoliliene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2009 at 8:59am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelnet

this was interesting I thought.
TellMeHopeIsNotDead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TellMeHopeIsNotDead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2012 at 8:26am
This is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe the jerkaround we're all getting.

Why don't we organize a collective action lawsuit? Any law grads who know if this is possible? With the amount of money we're bleeding into the hands of these twits, we deserve better.
NB student loan (disappeared?) + federal loan
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2012 at 8:36am
The idea of a class action lawsuit was investigated but we did not meet the criteria.  If you find another outcome to the research please let us know...
Administrator

-------------

Mark O'Meara

TellMeHopeIsNotDead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TellMeHopeIsNotDead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2012 at 8:41am
Damn! Thanks for the info, and I'l keep looking.
NB student loan (disappeared?) + federal loan
amanderr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2013 at 9:02am
Just thought I'd share my story... First a little backround information: I moved to South Korea to teach English after graduation. My loan repayment started Nov 2012. I made payments Nov 28, Dec 20 and Jan 18 in full. Still, every month I have been getting letters saying my account is past due and my credit is suffering. I had my Canadian bank investigate my payments (all were online, with clear record) and they concluded all payments were received by National Student Loan Service Centre (henceforth NSLSC)

I called the number for the NSLSC, and requested to add my father to my account to call on my behalf. This was simple enough and the lady was helpful and straightforward. After I told her I need to talk about past due notices I've received. She transfers me to Repayment. 

I tell her my situation and she asks to put me on hold. I tell her I'm calling long distance from Korea and I can't be on hold too long. She puts me on hold for more than 5 minutes. She comes back and apologizes for taking so long and that there's a problem with my account. Initially they billed my account for TWICE my minimum payment. This is their first mistake. She says they'll run an internal investigation to fix this and asks to put me on hold again. Before she does I request that she gives me a name for my records (in case they mess up again later, and I have to provide information outlining that I have dealt with this before). She refuses. I ask her for a staff ID number, or something with which I may identify her later (perhaps anonymously with an ID number as far as I am concerned). She explains to me that if I call back another time I won't be speaking with her, so there is no point. I assure her I realize that and it's merely for my records that I'm asking, not to speak with her again. She says she'll give it to me, after she puts me on hold. I tell her no, I want it now, in case we get disconnected. She tries to tell me that if we get disconnected she'll call me back at my previously stated number (a Korean number -- yeah, fat chance they'll eat that long distance bill), so I tell her no, I need it now. She eventually gives in and gives me her name for my records. 

Then she tells me that they received all of my payments. The problem was I didn't do it exactly on the last day of every month. I did it much earlier ( I get paid on the 10th ). So instead of taking this payment as my monthly payment, their computer system treats it as a "lump sum" payment, and still expects me to make my monthly payments at the end of the month. So because of their computer error, I have to now make my online payments through my Canadian bank account EXACTLY four business days before the end of the month. Now because I "missed" my payments, my credit has plummeted.

Explaining this to me, the woman was quite nice. However, when we got to the payment timing she started getting confusing. Her words to me were "You must make your online payment at least 4 business days before the end of the month". So I asked her if it could be "5" then, because it was still giving it enough time to be processed (at least 4 days could also mean 5 or 6 or 34598 business days). She said 5 business days was ok. When I started asking her why then making payments 7 business days ahead of time was such an issue for their system, she got huffy with me and saying that I was being too pushy. I merely wanted her to draw a line. Must it be EXACTLY four business days, or just before? Because I was doing my payments several business days before previously, and this was causing errors, but it was still "at least 4 business days" before the end of the month. In any case she became short with me and disrespectful.

I called back to request an apology letter for my troubles and outlining that it was not my error. The second man says once the finish the investigation into my payments, they'll send me a letter of good standing with student loans. I request an apology letter as well, going over the reasons for their mistake as well as apologizing for my hardships (having to call long distance at midnight, the threatening letters). I also inquired about my credit rating. He assured me that after their investigation they will set up another investigation to correct my credit history. I'm not sure I have faith in them to complete all of these tasks.

If something goes wrong, I have friends who are involved in the media who I may turn to to get my story (and stories of others) out there. If anyone else has any way to make these people responsible for their actions, I would gladly help in any way I can. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic