This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstudent loans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
kwester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2009 at 6:15am
After they took my $10,780 tax return (which I borrowed money to contribute to an RRSP to get), I went to court and got an order including my student loans in my bankruptcy.  Now, I want my return back and I am willing to go to court myself to do it.  I just need a little advice about which court and act to apply under.  Those buggers lied when I repeatedly contacted them by phone about inclusion of my student loans in my bankruptcy, filed no response with my trustee and gave me my GST and return for several years until I was expecting this massive return.  All this happened the same week that I lost my job.  I will get my money back!!!   How can they possibly support taking my money after repeatedly telling me over the phone that my loans were taken care of by my bankruptcy??  Can you help me figure out which court to appy to?  I AM GOING TO RUN THEM AROUND THE BLOCK FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES!!    They will have to spend thousands on discoveries and disclosures and interlocutory applications, and then, if they still have my money, I will appeal and appeal and appeal.  For starters though, I'm going to try discussing this matter with a manager and see where we go.  Has anyone gone the legal route before?   Have there been any successful outcomes when CRA staff failed to advise that loans were still owing when contacted by phone and CRA filed no reply with a bankruptcy trustee?AngryAngryAngry
Live long and prospe :)
Sponsored Links

heather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 12:08pm
I am hoping someone can confirm that the statute of limitations applies in BC for the bank portion of a loan taken out in the 1990s; last phone call from the bank was in 2001.  Now the bank is demanding payment plus interest for the last nine years.

I am unable to find anything definitive on the web.  I would like to take the bank to small claims court and sue for a judgment to get this over with -- is that possible?
obastable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obastable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2009 at 8:26am
I have a question regarding OSAP ... I had a collections call regarding outstanding student loan (kinda confused about that but if it's my debt then I'll deal with it somehow), and so I contacted HRDC & I have no outstanding loans with them.  I contacted my old bank (which negotiated my student loans) and there was indeed a defaulted loan that went to collections in July of 2001.   At this point I contacted OSAP, who informed me that yes indeed there was a defaulted OSAP loan that went to collections.  Are these loans one and the same or are they two separate loans?  That might be a stupid question but when I was paying off my student loans I thought they were all paid off (as per the confirmation I was given by HRDC).

Is this so-called OSAP loan really a provincial debt or is it a bank financed portion of the loan negotiated through OSAP?  Is there any way I can find this information out?  My old bank said on the phone that the only information still on file re: me is the date the loan was sent to collections & that's it.

If this is a bank risk does the statute of limitations apply to it?  I know they don't if it's OSAP but when I went to college (pre-2001) our loans were arranged through the bank.

kwester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2009 at 6:02am
I think that the loans were guaranteed by the federal government but loaned by the financial institutions.  This is a great question.  Several student associations have been challenging the laws around student debt.  You may be able to find them through an internet search.  They should be able to give you an answer.  I think that this has been the problem with my student loans as well.   The Bank of Nova Scotia sent my loans back to the government, received their guaranteed re-imbursement, then forgot about them.  The gov then failed to follow the appropriate processes re: bankruptcy etc. until soemone thought that they would win Harper points by screwing me and left me in an extremely difficult situation.  I hope that you are right and that the 7 year limit applies.  Let us know please.
Live long and prospe :)
ineedtheanser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ineedtheanser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 1:38pm
Johnny:
In paragraph three, you mention making a hardship application to the government.  Do you have to be bankrupt to make such an application?  How do you get information on this program.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 2:26am
No, you do not have to be a bankrupt. There is no set form. It is an appeal based on a number of key points and demonstrations. If yuou want help with it, give me a call. It is totally inexpensive.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
bodaciousbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodaciousbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2010 at 4:24am
Hi there. I desperately need some help sorting/settling my student loan and a rather large creditline debt. I've left messages at CFW group, but no one has called me back. Can anyone recommend someone in Vancouver who has been helpful in resolving/settling a debt matter?
Thank you!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2010 at 9:21am
If you need to reach me you will have to email me from the site. Just go to www.cfwgroup.ca and click on the contact us tab.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
almoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2010 at 9:12am
hi all i need help. i live in Quebec, i have some debts now and its so hard to know from where to start or where to go. i have a student loan of 20000$ plus some credit cards of 7k. i can't bankrupt since its been only 5 years from last year being a student. am in a new job but also as a contractor so it's always not a sure thing. anyone with an advice of what other ways i can deal with those debts. i need to get ride of the student loan, even though i need to go back to school now and finish a certificate. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567