This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKnowledge is power...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
madcar52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcar52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knowledge is power...
    Posted: 05/October/2004 at 7:45am

Knowledge is power, is what they say.  When information is properly provided, it is a positive power of unequalled strength.  Improperly disseminated and presented it is nothing short of destructive.  Before you try to do anything yourself, make sure you are armed with the right information.   Anything is possible, if you take the time to do it the right way.  If you are looking for fast fixes to your financial woes, or any woes for that matter...don't hold your breathe.  The only way to straighten yourself out is to accept responsibility, take ownership of your situation, stop bitching (can I say that?) about the government and how they do things, the CA's and how dumbass they are (don't get me wrong, they are all of those things...but bitching don't get you no where), etc...Arm yourself with knowledge and then play them at their own game to get what you want.  How?...you might ask.  With John Leblanc's help.  He has the information and experiene you need to empower yourself.  Not only will you come out with your financial problems at bay and on the road to recovery.  You will find yourself having a new found sense of confidence.  The confidence that comes with believing in yourself.  You see, John doesn't do anything for you...he enables you to do it for yourself.  This kind of gift is priceless. 

Over a year ago I contaced John Leblanc to help me figure out many of my financial issues.  Now you have to undestand the kind of person I am.  I hate asking for help.  I have to know how to do something myself.  I hate relying on someone else to make things happen for me.  Needless to say, John has been very patient.   I am sure there is times it is probally a good thing I live Ottawa..if I was any closer, he most likely would have slapped me by now.  I am stubborn, independant and have to know everything for myself.   It took a lot for me to put my trust in him and follow his instrustions.  Once I put my faith in him, he took care of my SL's...after a bankruptcy they were a mess.  Collection agencies were hounding me, threatening me, you name it.  Once John became involved the calls stopped, and I am now on a manageable repayment plan...and they have just recently accepted a settlement for somewhere around 40 cents on the dollar. 

In the midst of all my student loan troubles, I was also able to obtain a new mortgage with an interest rate 3.6% lower, allowing me to put more money back in my pocket every month and a line of credit with a credit card to re-establish my credit.  Things I knew could be done, but had no idea how to do them.  With the information given to me by John (and a lot of work on my end), I was able to negotiate things on my terms.  This all sounds so easy..it's not.  I am not out of the dark yet.  I still have at least a year of smart saving and responsible credit use to be considered a better risk to lenders...but, I am well on my way!

Two years ago, I was a mess.  My husband and I were advised to declare bankruptcy..big mistake. I was hopeless and frustrated with our situation.  I wasn't aware of any of my options and didn't know which way to go.  Contacting John laid a new path for me to take.  I was made aware of my optons, and began building the confidence to take things in to my own hands.  Today I am on my way to financial freedom.  No matter what anyone says, no matter what situation you are in, there is a way out.  It takes time and patience, but these things you already have.  Fxing your financial troubles is only one peice of the pie.  Fixing yourself is where the true success lies.  John gives you wings, but you do the flying.  It won't happen any other way. 

My advise to anyone reading this is...if you are ready to take a long hard look at yourself, admit your mistakes and do whatever you need to do to get on the right path...call John Leblanc.  He reall ycan help if you are ready to listen.  If you are looking for an easy way out, still spend most of your days cursing at everyone and blaming them for all your troubles....don't bother calling no one.  Nobody can help you if you are not ready to help yourself.

Cheers,

Esther

Sponsored Links

dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 8:45am

Well, congrats. I'm glad that you woke up and realized the right path.  You're right, of course.  Stupid me for blaming the NSLSC when they lost those forms and their 'clerical errors' lead to my defaulting.  I guess I just wasn't honest with myself.  And when I am paying interest rates that would make John Gotti blush.  Well, gee.  I suppose I need to find a more convenient lender.  I guess I should just quit my bitching and see my true colours.  Shame on me for suggesting the pure, innocent government was to blame! Oh mea culpa!!!

I suppose you believe that the Pope was asking to get shot, too.

Btw, my dad, a Scottish man whose dad was a banker (read: as conservative as they come) even HE is embarrassed by the way the government  has handled this whole student loan debaucle.  But oh yeah, I did promise to quit my bitching.  Sorry.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 8:48am

Johnny,I'll post an apology to you because I know you ARE a great solution.  That last post reeked of ungracious smarminess.

Cheers.

madcar52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcar52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 9:17am

Nice to meet you too dazed&confused I am sorry if I offended you..not my intention.  I in no way was implying that the government is not responsible for screwing things up.  In my post I agreed that they are a bunch of goofs....but bithching is no use.  What worked for me, was realizing that complaing was not going to get me anywhere.  I am responsible for me...waiting for them to make changes wasn't/isn't going to solve my problems.  What I learned from John was despite how badly they hanlde your student loans, there are ways to get them resolved...with the proper knowledge and tools. 

For me, my financial troubles were more than just my student loans.  Not managing my money properly contributed to my problems.  I was just as much to blame for my situation, and sadly a lot of people out there fail to realize how they themselves contribute to thier own problems.  People become overwhelmed with money issues, and look for an easy way out.  The truth is there is no easy way out. 

I posted my story to share my experience.  Take out of it what you will, but responding on the defensive and making insults is not very welcoming to a new member or needed.  Your sarcasm is not appreciated.

Cheers,

Madcar

madcar52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcar52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 10:50am

After spending some time reading thorugh some of the posts..I came across the rules for posting in this section..I forgot to mention that John does charge for his services.  However, his fees are reasonable and he is very flexible on the terms of payment.  He does take into consideration that the people who are seeking his advise are already financially strained.  For me the cost of his services was nothing compared to what I gained.  He is worth every penny!

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 2:29pm

There is no need to apologize, Dazed.

Now, in relation to the "smarminess".... Madcar is simply referring to those who can do nothing but feel helpless. People need to know that there is hope.  so, rather than feel hopeless, choose the more productive direction. Be not a afraid of moving forward .... Be afraid of standing still. This is the real message.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 5:02pm
If I insulted you I apologize, Madcar.  It was nothing personal. I responded with what I thought was dark comedy and yes, I happen to like a good dash of sarcasm.  Puts hair on your chest.  I found your ideas unsympathetic and I disagree on blanketedly looking down on everyone as being a deadbeat or a financial idiot.  An awful lot of people out there are in this mess through no fault of their own, whether you wish to believe that or not. If you are reading older posts you will see many examples of this.  I suppose we can meet in the middle somewhere that it is good that you have found what works for you and yes people have to learn to be financially responsible.  But in my defense (if you would permit me to be on the 'defensive') creative bitching can be therapeutic.  All things in moderation, that's the key.  Some of us here have had some good fun with it. Given the choice, it sure beats crying.  Your attempt at motivational speaking could have been worded more respectfully, that's all.  Peace out.
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 5:29pm

Sorry, Madcar...I have to backup dazed&confused...

The "bitching" you refer to in a large part is due to our helplessness...and to our (so far ineffective) efforts to change a hopelessly broken system. In addition, this forum is the only place the issues can be aired so others will see them and learn. We have only been ignored everywhere else we have turned.

I am a middle-aged ex-banker and couldn't avoid getting screwed over due to the mistakes that dazed&confused mentioned  made by the CIBC. How can we expect a recent grad with no banking experience to avoid the problems of lost paperwork and inept employees?

I too recommend Johnny...But I also recommend that we are a wee bit kinder to ourselves and to others. Just for the record everybody, Johnny won't point fingers...he will provide help without the judgements.

If we want to be blamed, we can always call our friendly neighbourhood collector...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
madcar52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcar52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 5:29pm

I guess what I was trying to say is that I have been a financial idiot With Johns advice and the long talks I have had with him, I have come to realize my own mistakes, and how I have to change to make things better for me.  I just want people out there to know that it can be better, and even if they have been screwed, there are options available to them to straighten it out. 

I too love a good dose of sarcasm, although I can do without the hair on my chest

Well, I am off to bed! 

Cheers,

Madcar

danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/November/2004 at 9:02am
how can i hire john if im living on the streets with no job no money ?

and your right knowledge is power: i wish i had access to this website before i went to school

now i tell everyone to check this site out before they go to university; believe me alot of kids just think its no prob to get a job from university(arts programs); but soon as they check out this website their eyes light up

Edited by danny
Johnny save me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/November/2004 at 9:12am
oh and sometimes people dont know how to help themselves

thats why we reach out to them

*i hate it when they give me this moralistic crap that we must take responsibility for our own actions*
Johnny save me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2004 at 8:11pm

Danny,

If you are having a rough time and want to talk about it, call me. It doesn't cost you anything talk with me. Cripes, my business is wellness, not a law firm or bankruptcy. That is what I am here for. If you want me to act on your behalf, well then there is a cost.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2004 at 8:13pm

and Danny ... if you do not mind me asking ... would you be willing to maybe change your avatar to something more ... let's say "positive"?

Looking up close, I can see who it is.. but froma  distance, it looks like a mug of Jeffrey Dahmer. Not pleasant to look at regardless of which angle.

solvestudentdebt.com
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2004 at 8:39pm

madcar52,

Good for you.

you should be proud of yourself and the steps you have taken to acheive a better and healthier life.

Good job John

Troy

Edited by CARGO1
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2004 at 9:22am

*i hate it when they give me this moralistic crap that we must take responsibility for our own actions*

Danny, who should take responsibility for YOUR actions?

Pigeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2004 at 9:51am

Interesting.......couple of things if I may folks.

Yes, we have to take a measure of responsibility for our situations. I repeat...a measure of responsibility. Every situation is different and as such the bureaucratic mishandling of each file may have varied. What I'm trying to say is that you can't make a blanket statement that the total fault for every person going to collections lies with the individual or the system.......so please don't try.

Secondly, and I mean no disrespect, there is no golden calf. There is no one way to get out of our situation. There are people on this site who have moved abroad. It worked for them. It wouldn't for me. I got a consolidation loan and am living as a member of the working poor always remembering that in a few years I'll have this damn thing paid off. This worked for me. I'm single with no children. This method may not work for otheres. It's not a question of right and wrong.

That's it. Now let's all hold hands and sing a rousing round of Kum-By-Ya.

Coffee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2004 at 11:08am

Johnny,

I may not agree with what Danny says, but I have to defend his avatar; your point that it resembles Dahmer is, however, well taken.

A common thread I see on this site (and rightly so) is that government is part of the student loan problem. To argue to the contrary is akin to championing that the world is flat. That the government outsources the collection loans to to third party collectors who in turn treat student debtors like one would treat convicted felons is reprehensible and, in the very least, demands that the government find an alternative solution to this profound problem.

Ok, to my point (and there is one). The mug shot of B.C Premier Gordon Campbell, I think, is a reminder to student debtors that these politicians should be viewed and pre-judged with the same criminal contempt as they and their CA henchman view us.

Just a thought, Johnny. A little off topic mind you, but I had to somhow trump Pigeon with his suggestion of a rendition of Kum Ba Ya. Keep up the great work!

Peace to All!

Coffee

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2004 at 2:23pm

Defend away.

Negativity breeds negativity.

So, danny, you want help or not?

solvestudentdebt.com
Islander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2004 at 2:39pm

My turn.

The whole whole question of whether one should be responsible for one's actions is a red herring. Or perhaps a straw man (depending on your informal logic professor). It presupposes the premise that people are in collections as a result of their own actions and that is not a premise most of us would be willing to accept if stated explicitly.

In fact, in most cases loans are defaulted as the result of failures on the part of others to do their jobs, live up to their word, or provide what was promised. People here, by and large, would give anything to have some action to perform for which they could take responsibility.

So yeah, take responsibility for your actions, but don't get all depressed and suicidal over the venality and inepness of others. Fight the vile scum at every turn. Take responsibility for that.

What? Me, worry?
Alfred E Newman
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2004 at 2:52pm

danny,

give him a call, you never know he might be able to help

johns Ph#  

(902) 464-8727

off topic a bit

Islander, very well stated

Edited by CARGO1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>