This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCalls from Edmonton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calls from Edmonton
    Posted: 10/August/2004 at 1:37pm

I started getting calls from someone named "andrea at our Edmonton office".  Anyone know what CA works out of Edmonton?????

I know the easy way to find out is to hold my breath and speak to them, but I can tell by their demeanour that I'm in for a good kick in the stomach if I do....

Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2004 at 6:20pm

The agencies working out of Edmonton that handle bank, Provincial, and Canada Student Loan accounts are:

1) NCO Financial Services

2) Total Credit Recovery

3) NorDon Collection Network (only aged CSL accounts that have been assigned with one or more agencies prior - aome class B judgment accounts)

CBCL had a location in edmonton but that has recently been closed down and centralized to their Toronto headquarters.

There are some agencies that do not work CSL accounts but do work the others such as Metropolitan Credit adjusters.

Johnny  

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 10:36am
Hi there.  Love the line, "this is so and so from Edmonton."  This is NCO who does this.  Instead of identifying themselves on your answering machine, they simply say that they are so and so from Edmonton and ask for you to call them back.  I guess this is a tactic to make you call because you have no idea who they are or what the call is about.  NCO are pretty dirty players.
Jen

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 10:40am

but if you knew it was the devil on the phone, would you answer it ?  not likely

this is why answering machines are a good investmen.

jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 10:53am

I don't answer any calls from collectors now.  Why fight about about being broke??  No money = no payments!!  Why stress myself out listening to them say nasty things and threaten me when none of it can change the circumstances.  I would not be dealing with collections if I had the money to pay the debt in the first place. 

Jen

eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 10:57am

Aren't CA's supposed to identify themselves?

Watch out for CollectCorp asking for someone else from their automated voice recording.  I suppose the tactic is that you call them back to notify them of their mistake, and they say 'oh, by the way, we have this account on you'.  Of course, would any business take the time to pre-record an entire message for just one person?  What kind of a circus is this?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Jean Chretien
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 10:58am

now if the banks would understand that we default because we are broke and sending the account to collections wont change that, we'd be getting somewhere

kind of like you have to keep your account in good standing to qualify for debt reduction.  if you default you dont qualify.  but if i could pay my loan i wouldnt need debt reduction...

jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 11:06am

You said it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how anyone could be a collections clerk.  How depressing!  Being nasty to people all day long who are stressed out already and struggling to support their families.  Nice job! 

Jen

dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 4:40pm

I NEVER answer my phone any more.  I screen all my calls. If they say nothing, I don't answer.  I've started getting auto-messages saying "please hold for an important call"

Mais, m'excusez.  Oh yeah!  I'll hold!  I have nothing better to do than hold for unknown calls that are so important that they cannot bother to be on the live line to promptly greet me when I answer!

Or the auto dialer that just says "call 1-800-BLA-BLAH".   I ain't so lonely that I will phone numbers that I have no idea who they are. Or so bored. 

atomic_kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomic_kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2004 at 10:06am
If the message is automated and doesnt state who they are and what company they work for and the purpose of the call I don't return them....it doesn't take them that long to catch on to calling me live.  If someone live calls without doing the same or just identifies themselves as "X" from "Toronto" I'm not going to return the call....if I don't know this person I'm not going to call them.
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/January/2005 at 3:28am
i will flat out refuse to talk to a collector over the phone.  demand proof that  they are authorized to deal with your loan from the original lender and make them do some work.  if i called you and said you owed me 30K, would you just fork over the money ?  not likely.  demand everything in writing and refuse to deal with them unless they provide you with documentation.  send it registered mail to the collection agency and cc the original lender and hey - you can even cc it to the governmnet body in your province who oversees collection agency complaints, that way no one can say otherwise.  if the ca isnt following the rules, make note of it in your request for all contact to be in writing letter.  you shouldn't be afraid to answer your own telephone.
professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
WantOut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WantOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/January/2005 at 3:12pm

I've had to unplug the answering machine, my own pet CA leaves such long, abusive messages that are LOUD and can be heard by my upstairs neighbor (it's a digital answering machine).  I check my call display before I ever answer the phone now ..... I'm not a paranoid person, but this is ridiculous.

I also get many, many calls on my voicemail at work, which has prompted me to rarely answer my phone there either.  I just return messages instead. (but delete the ones from the CA, of course, and I've stopped even listening to them).

I'm a little confused ---- I didn't have the money to pay the debt before, why would I suddenly now have the money because some brain-dead jerk calls me regularly to insult and degrade me?  I must be missing something here .....

Keep up the good fight, all.  Something's GOTTA give somewhere ...

Edited by WantOut
In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/January/2005 at 3:16pm

Wantout,

Don't unplug that answering machine!  Each time they leave an abusive message you have proof they are crossing the line.  Nail these guys to the wall with this evidence by writing a complaint to the ministry responsible for overseeing collection agencies, and send in a copy of the tapes. 

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Jean Chretien
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/January/2005 at 10:19am

Wantout,

You said--

I'm a little confused ---- I didn't have the money to pay the debt before, why would I suddenly now have the money because some brain-dead jerk calls me regularly to insult and degrade me?  I must be missing something here .....

I must be missing something here too!!!!!!  Do these collectors believe that this pressure that they feel justified to use on us is going to make our money tree sprout??  It's not even pressure--down right harassment!  I spoke to a (supposed) supervisor of one of the collectors I was dealing with and when I explained that there was absolutely no money to send his big spiel was all about the wages he had to pay to his employees--blah blah blah whine whine whine  .

No empathy at all---NONE--

Oh well.......life will go on.......my children will eat well and so will I!

vswyers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vswyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/March/2005 at 3:43am
Well I made one mistake that I will regret....TRUST me I will regret and I have spoken with my bank afterwards to but a hold onto my account until the matter is cleared...I had a small bill and I am talking about pocket change on the side of what I owed Ontario Student Loan...so in sense of not making my credit file go even further into the ground, I gave the CSR my chequing number to withdrawal two payments of $85.00 to cover that small collection...GUESS WHAT!  Two months after, a withdrawal of $700.00 was taken from my account to pay towards my Ontario Student Loan and I had gotten my bank account way after I even had my loan because it was issued as a draft through another financial institute.  When I spoke with my bank they had indicated that I was in fault by giving such information over to a collection dept...it's like giving your credit card to a stranger out on the street, how many people will use that credit card in a day...so now, I can't make any withdrawals from my account because I put a hold onto that specific account.  Little bit of advice to you all....don't give out your checking info to make payment arrangements...they will search all past credits owing and make a deal with the other credit agency because they now have permission to withdrawal the amount...unless you have it in writing, where I didn't so they can take 85.00 from me for the rest of my life basically because I gave them permission over the phone.  BIG MISTAKE!
WantOut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WantOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2005 at 4:33pm

Hey vswyers:  Shut down that bank account.  Open another one at another bank, and I would do it NOW.  Giving collection agencies carte blanche on your banking info was indeed a mistake, but thankfully one which can be corrected quite easily!

I've had to do that myself, a bit of a pain 'cause all my bills, etc. went through there but definitely worth the peace of mind that I won't discover my account has been vacuumed out without my knowledge.

Eshelton? This is going to sound stupid, but how does one keep the messages from a digital answering machine (no tape)?  Tape them with another tape recorder?  I actually need some hints here ....

In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
karldubhe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karldubhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2005 at 4:23am
Originally posted by jotogo jotogo wrote:

You said it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how anyone could be a collections clerk.  How depressing!  Being nasty to people all day long who are stressed out already and struggling to support their families.  Nice job! 

oooooo, it's an evil job.  I took it to find out what they were up to and how they do their business.  I had the joy of collecting fines levied by the bc gov't, things like traffic tickets, being caught underage in a booze store or bar that sort of thing.  nastiest call I made - one that still bothers me quite a bit - was to this 14 year old girl.  Her father answered the phone, very disturbed that an older male voice was call ing, when he found out what I was calling about I got the distinct impression that I had just given an abusive parent the go-ahead for a whipping.   The next day my back gave out, I had learned enough about that business.   Ex-CAF that I am, I use language I learned in basic when I talk to a collector.  the newbies are ignorant and don't know their jobs, the veterans of that trade have only one concern in life, get more money. 
naatekky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naatekky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2005 at 9:05am
Total Credit Recovery or TCI , is it at 780 # calling you?
jrmevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2005 at 12:21pm

FYI

NCO .... 780-441-4000

I found out how to "block" the collection companys call. With telus in edmonton, don't if it is the same with anyone else. you can use the *60 feature.

You pick up the phone, press *60 wait a few second and a prompt will direct you to enter the phone number you want blocked. If you do this right after a CA has called it will ask if you want to add the last number that just called you.  This also works if the number comes up as "blocked" or "private".

I think you can add upto 12 numbers to the list. From what i understand they will get a message that says that you are not taking calls right now.

So when I get home, I will check to see if I have any message from my "new" CA who has been calling for about a week now... And from past experience, I am sure he will get to a point where he threatens to send my file for garnishment. Which no one has done yet.. and I will just continue to make my monthly payments, and increase them as I go along.

And maybe in 10-15 years, when i am 40-45 years old --  I will finially be able to own my own home and have a decent car .... but i am not holding my breathe... :(

rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2005 at 10:39am
was just talking to my mom and she said that the CA was calling for my brother (he has a small loan for 1 yr of school) she told me that the agencies somehow got ahold of our neighbours # and was calling them asking about my brother. don't know why he hasn't paid it off, it's just a small amount he owes. but calling your neighbours to ask if you are home, if u live there etc.. just plain ridiculous
debt free by 2025
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>