This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCalls from Edmonton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2005 at 12:36am

rusty,

I agree...it is plain ridiculous!!  The lengths that these goons are actually allowed to go to...It's quite hilarious some of the deceitful ways these ppl act.  Perhaps if these ppl wouldn't lower themselves to such filth, the field of collections might be protrayed in a little better light...but...somehow I don't see things changing any time soon.

Sponsored Links

agentsly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentsly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 1:49pm
I deal with NCO and YES they are very dirty players I dealt with one by the name of Wendy Lock or so she says thats her name and when I asked to speak to a supervisor I still ended up talking to her. Do these people think we are stupid or something and that we eventually will catch on and be smarter than them...
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2007 at 7:08am
Edmonton branch?
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
TheDevil07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDevil07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/October/2007 at 9:40am
Originally posted by agentsly007 agentsly007 wrote:

I deal with NCO and YES they are very dirty players I dealt with one by the name of Wendy Lock or so she says thats her name and when I asked to speak to a supervisor I still ended up talking to her. Do these people think we are stupid or something and that we eventually will catch on and be smarter than them...

She is the supervisor and that is her name.
agentsly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentsly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2007 at 6:21pm
 Do you have delaings with this Wendy Lock The Devil07 to know that she's the supervisor or are you a spy for them and that you're a collector yourself???
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2007 at 4:16am

Based on his/her language, I would suspect a collector.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
HIddenDebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HIddenDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2007 at 9:55am
I posted in the subforum about my experiences with NCO
They are a nasty vicious group of people and if the person dealing with you at the time can't squeeze blood out of your turnip they will bump you to an even nastier person that might be able to, it seems like a never ending cycle with them and they expect you to do everything they say but will not do anything that you ask them to do such as send a balance or statement or even a receipt that you've been paying.
Living with HiddenDebt
talonator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2008 at 2:00pm
Hi:

Just wondering what this means?

only aged CSL accounts that have been assigned with one or more agencies prior - aome class B judgment accounts

Thanks
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2008 at 2:57pm

Aged accounts previously assigned means just as is sounds - accounts that have been assigned from one agency, then to another. Class B accounts are Canada student loan accounts that have been sued by CLAS @ Justice Canada.

solvestudentdebt.com
talonator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2008 at 11:56am
Does this refer to a debt owed to the crown or somewhere else?
Thanks,
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2008 at 1:44pm
Debt owed to the Crown.

solvestudentdebt.com
sanpar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanpar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 4:39am
Today I received a call from them - at my work!!  They said it was "Angela from Maintenance".  No they're lieing about where they're calling from!!!!  It's not like I don't already have payment arrangements with them!  AND it's not like I don't their phone number by now (my god they call me every month trying to wrangle a deal).  Who do you complaint to over these blatent lies!!!  AND harassment at my work (if I get fired then they'll get nothing from me!!!).  I just don't get it!
barron121212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barron121212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2009 at 3:46pm
They called me at work, today actually, and have done so in the past, even after I repeatedly asked them not to.  As one other poster mentioned on a sub-forum "The Judith" is a NIGHTMARE as is "The Curtis".........long story short, my lawyer is sending a letter requesting that they cease and desist.  The only reason I have a lawyer is because I am moving my mortgage from CIBC to protect what little I have left and am hoping the refinance will come in high enough to get rid of "the judith" and "the curtis".......
yael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2009 at 5:30pm
This reminds me of  THE IT CROWD.. hehehe.. It's a show where they answer customer using a recorder. hehe.. You can search it on google for more info. Smile
sucker for loan modification
Singlemomof4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Singlemomof4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2009 at 3:32pm
I got a call today from someone from this number stating that they are calling about my claim. The person that left the message on my answering machine was trying to make it sound like I had some sort of refund that I was getting.  I discovered that it was NCO. Pretty sneaky if you ask me.

1. I  got the student loan to go back to school.
2. I went back to school to get a better education.
3. I got the education to earn more money to support my children properly.
4. I now make more money buy there is nothing left at the end of the month after I pay rent, car 
    insurance, groceries, utility bills, medical and dental bills.
5. If I don't pay rent, insurance, bills and buy groceries - I am evicted, my kids starve and I will
     eventually be called and unfit parent.

So, who wins NCO or my kids? I think my kids do, by far. I am not trying to get out of paying my student loan, but If I could afford to repay my loan I would.
Sharkboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharkboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2010 at 9:48am
I was issued every threat and experienced every problem in the book for more than four years when it came to being harassed by these morons.

My last conversation with a collection agent was in the fall of 2003.  I was just married, had a baby and life was just starting to come together after the debacle that was supposed to be "higher education".  Here's exactly how it went down:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: "Hello?"

Agent: "My name is Ron <sayingthistoofastforyoutounderstandonpurpose> calling on behalf of <sayingthistoofastforyoutounderstandonpurpose>.  I'm calling on a matter of urgent financial importance."

Me: "I'm sorry, I didn't catch all of that, could you repeat your full name and company please?"

Agent: "This is Ron calling you on an urgent financial..."

Me: "Could you spell that for me, please?"

Agent: "R-O-N"

Me:  "And your last name?"

Agent:  "Are you aware that you owe a substantial amount to Canada Student Loans that we have been assigned to collect"

Me:  "Who is 'we'?"

Agent: "I'm calling from NCO Financial Collection Agencies in regards to an outstanding student loan debt"

Me:  "Well Hi Ron.  I guess I should let you know before we go any further that this conversation is being recorded.  I'd also like to formally request, on record, that you no longer call this number and that all further communication with me in regards to this matter be sent in writing."

Agent: "I'm not going to do that"

Me:  "Good for you, and thanks for putting that refusal on record for me."

Agent:  "So how do you intend to pay this money back?"

Me:  "I don't, but thanks for asking."

Agent:  "You have no intention of trying to eliminate this debt?"

Me:  "Nope."

Agent:  "Are you aware that I can order your wages garnisheed?"

Me:  "Good luck with that.  I make 10 bucks an hour, I have a wife and child to support.  No judge in the country will ever order money to go to an asshole like you for anything."

Agent (getting pretty flustered at this point):  "There's no need to get abusive, Mr ******.  Why can't you just borrow the money from someone and get this paid, Mr ******?  This debt is your responsibility."

Me:  "Thanks for the advice.  You chose to call here, so I'll be ****ing abusive if I ****ing feel like it, you can always hang up.  By the way, do you have $35,000 I can borrow?  Apparently I have this debt I really need to pay off."

Agent:  "I'm not going to lend you the money, Mr. ******."

Me:  "Well what the hell makes you think anyone else will, then? How did you get this job in the first place?  Are they hiring just anyone off the street these days?  Can I get a job there?"

Agent: "Well it's pretty clear that you're not going to be very co-operative, I'll be making a note of this and passing it on to my superiors."

Me:  "Tell them I said 'hi'.  I have all of this on record too, so you already have my formal request, Ron.  I'm fully aware of my legal rights, so I won't be expecting anymore calls from you or anyone else at your company.  Mail me a letter, and be sure to include proof from the creditor that NCO is authorized on their behalf to collect on this debt, ok?  If you don't, I'll only tear it up.  Sound good, Ron?"

Agent:  "Oh you'll be getting a call from us again, Mr. ******"

Me:  "I'll be looking forward to you giving me the opportunity to get you fired and have your agency shut down for breaking the law, you stupid pr***.  If you call here again, buddy, that's exactly what's going to happen.  You know it as well as I do.  I'm going to hang up now.  You have a great day, Ron."

------------------------------------------------------------------

It's now 2010.  I've never heard or received a single correspondence in regards to my student loans or the collection of them since that phone call.  I don't hide, I do my taxes, I've obtained financing, we own a nice new minivan and we don't live in the slums.  I live my life.  I live it on my terms.

Take my advice:  When an agent calls, know your rights, and be more of a jerk to them than they are to you, that's one of those rights.  Instead of being stressed, you'll have a bit of fun just telling them to **** off and laughing at how mad they get.  They have absolutely no authority over you.  None.  The poorer you are, the more power you have.  I'm now at the point where there's probably a means to have it completely stricken from my record, so I'm posting a couple inquiries as to how I can do that.

In the meantime I got caught up reading all of your stories.  Wow, people, why so stressed out?  let go of it and live!  Screw em!

I used to pull my hair out over what to do... but seriously... "stand in line, creditors, I have to."  Live your life the way you want to, people.  I have a wife, five beautiful children and although things could be much better financially, they couldn't possibly be better emotionally.  I'll never pay off that loan, there's just way too many things that matter so much more... I could care less about it.  If I ever win the lottery... sure, I might pay them off if I can actually figure out who gets the money, but it's highly unlikely I'll be able to, so I'm just not worried about it.  You shouldn't be, either.

Gordon Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2010 at 10:37am
NCO Financial called me at 7:10am today.  At least that is what the time stamp on the message says.  My phone was off and I was sleeping.

My first thought was to have them busted for calling me at an inappropriate time.  A quick check with Service Alberta reveals that collectors and other scum may call any time between 7:00am and 10:00pm.  Damn.

My voice mail identified the calling number as 780-441-4000 though the bag who left the message asked for a call back at 1 877 237 2215 Extension 2138.

I called the 877 number from another phone and was greeted by someone who identified herself as NCO; Pamela Hayes.  I confirmed that I was talking with Pamela Hayes of NCO financial, thanked her and hung up.

There are only 2 or 3 people at the NCO Edmonton office. Why they use 4 digit extensions I am not totally sure.  Either it is to make themselves look bigger than they really are or the extension number is a code that the correct person is calling back.

The face that NCO Financial and their employers often bully people and do things that are either illegal or unethical has been pretty well established.  Now for some effective ways of dealing with NCO Financial and other collectors.

Note:  ANY TIME you call a toll-free number, the party you called will find out your phone number.  Even if you block your Caller ID.

In the event you actually do want to talk with them, or just give them some hassle for fun, I recommend that you call 780-441-4000 COLLECT from a pay phone.  That way NCO has to pay money if they want to talk with you AND the telephone company doesn't give them your real phone number.

Personally, I refuse their calls.  Some telephone providers have a service called Caller Reveal which forces blocked callers to reveal their number.  This is not available to me so I do the following.

Phone rings.  Blocked number.  I want to find out who it is but don't want to deal with the royal sphincters at NCO.  The call goes something like this.

Me:  Security.

NCO:  May I speak with Gordon Frank.

Me:  May I tell him who's calling.

NCO:  This is Pamela with NCO.

Me:  I'm afraid Gordon isn't available right now, may I get your number?

One caller replied something like, "That's okay.  I'll try again."  She sounded pissed like she had been tricked or something.  lol

One of my favorite lines is, "Please send me something in writing.  If you have a legitimate claim, I will respond."

If they ask to confirm my address, I reply, "If you have a legitimate claim you already have my address."

on2u2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on2u2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2011 at 12:24pm
Actually, the supervisor changes her name from wendy to pamela. NCO has an F rating with the BBB of Canada - where they list the owners and managers including a listing of other numbers they call from.

Collection agencies such as this one, tend to hire sociopaths, pathological liars, or persons with borderline personality disorder. These people take it as a personal goal to sucker you into paying them with your blood and love the idea of dominating, intimidating and/or controlling others. They have huge chips on their shoulders and think they are beyond reproach, yet they do not heed the biblical warning that pride comes before a fall, and a big fall at that. They also have no empathy or concept of what do unto others as you would have done unto you means either. they are modern day version of vampires - they get off on sucking the life out of you. They do not see that one day their time will come when they need mercy or empathy and it will be utterly denied them. They will meet even worse persons than themselves and come under their control. It may take years for this to happen, perhaps when they are old, feeble and dementia has overtaken them - they may be scammed - pensions stolen, homes robbed, any family will have forgotten them. their actions towards others will come back to haunt them.

What on earth is up with the government of Canada that they would hire a company with such a swarmy reputation? Goes to show what our government is really like.

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/collection-agencies/nco-financial-services-in-edmonton-ab-120198
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2011 at 10:31am
BBB reports do not really mean anything. Every business that provides a service to a large volume of people or a particular group or market receives complaints. Even we get the odd one when someone wants to attempt to get their money back and get free service by concocting a silly complaint. Believe me - it happens. People who have very bad intentions rely on the BBB too. You can't trust BBB reports for that reason simply because they do not provide remedial service. By the way, I wonder how one could complain to the BBB about BBB-related complaints? LOL

You are quite right about the behavioral issues that come out of collection agencies. Deceitful practices, uncompassionate agents who do not care about another's well-being or feelings, and some doozie personalities. Sometimes an agency will encounter an applicant who is naturally that way, and often times that is how they train people to become who are not of those behavioral patterns. Their training and those whom they call mentors who have been in that business for a long time are the shadiest of all, behaviorally speaking.

The government accounts receivable groups and third-party collection agencies all have a very tight relationship with one another. If you look at the Nova Scotia government's collection unit (Service Nova Scotia), a large number of their agents are former third-party collection agency thugs that sought employment security after the large national agencies closed their offices in the east coast and centralized. There are a couple of collection agents at the NS government level who aren't thugs though and are quite personable and professional. I suspect each provincial government hires the same people with that background. Thug-like collectors hired by government who move up the management ladders represent a more frightening matter. Someday I will supply some very interesting write ups of various experiences I have had - and cases that are currently being investigated. So, government collection offices have a lot of "friends" who work in the third-party collection industry and that provides the third-parties with a lot of advantageous marketing power.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
fiona1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiona1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/September/2011 at 2:33am
"So, government collection offices have a lot of "friends" who work in the third-party collection industry and that provides the third-parties with a lot of advantageous marketing power"
devastating post. where did you take that, huh? or is it your personal?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>